The Minion Method Explained w/ Tutorial

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You know this minion method came way before minion claimed it. Ask any kamado style cooker owner how they start their cooker. Put the charcoal in there...throw a fire starter in there with vents wide open. When it gets to temp...put the vents where you need it for the desired temp.:yahoo:

Last edited:
What do you guys do if you are doing a really long smoke I have a 10lb pork shoulder that I am anticipating taking 15 hours. Let's say I get really good lump charcoal and do everything perfect and get ideal temps for 10 hours, how should I go about getting the other few hours I need? Just light chimneys as needed?

Throw unlit lump on top...leave door open till lit...close door.

Very well explained and seeing pictures helps me a lot as I was having difficulty visualizing it. I noticed regular charcoal left lots of ash also and hesitant in using lump coal but after reading several posts I will need to give it a try this weekend. One question when you mention charcoal in the firebox towards the end of the article, are you talking about lump or regular charcoal? I am thinking lump because of ash content. :grilling_smilie:

Does anyone have problems with draft when using the Minion Method in an offset cooker? Using KBB, when I close the damper way down to keep the burn slow, I end up with a hot spot on the stack side. I found the sweet spot on the damper that gets me even temps side to side, but then I get too much air because basket then burns up within 2-3 hours unless I'm using a LOT of charcoal. I was only able to get about 2.5-3 hours of temp using about 10 pounds of charcoal. I may just need to adjust my tuning plates to create the most even temps I can get with the damper closed down. Although even then you still have a bit of a draft problem.

After owning a WSM and getting 12 hours+ burns easy with KBB, I was beginning to think KBB was king of the Minion Method. I'm intrigued now to try it with lump. I'm shocked to hear of an 8 hour burn with lump in an offset. 

The design of offset cookers doesn't really lend itself to the Minion Method like a vertical or WSM type does...much less efficient in general and with a little bit bigger/thicker cooker like mine you need more heat to start to get the cooker loaded with heat in under an hour (unless your stick burning). 

Last edited:
Reactions: remmy700p
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky