The Last 20 Degrees

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smitch019

Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
Pa
I'm kind of new to smoking and was wondering if it is normal for the last 20 degrees, to get to your finished temperature, to be extremely slow?  The temperature of the smoker is perfectly fine as well.  Any info is appreciated!

The simplest answer: As the temperature of the meat approaches the set temperature of your smoker, the increase in the internal temperature of the meat will slow down. In other words, the smaller the gap between the 2 temps, the slower the meats temp will increase. 

^Spot on. If you were to graph it, every cook takes a very predictable "S" curve. It curves up quickly, then levels off, then slowly rises to finish. If you want more stall at a lower temp set the pit temp lower. If you want less stall at a higher temp set it higher.

That sounds like experience talking rg and bama.  I will start charting my cooks to watch for that "s" curve and learn more about my smoke times.  Thanks. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky