Texas Twinkies and a question about freezing cheese mix..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chasdev

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
Saw these on YouTube and realized I'd never added chopped burnt ends to my "poppers".
Cheese mix with Honey Hog dust added along with green salsa inside.
Outside gets Honey Hog dust over the thick cut bacon too, followed by a wipe down with Killer Hogs bbq sauce.
I cooked these in the oven, did not want to fire up the offset just for poppers.
Even without smoking they are great.
I made too much of the filling (cream cheese with shredded cheddar and green salsa), and there's enough left for a a dozen more "twinkies", which I would hate to waste, so should I freeze the excess?
I've frozen cream cheese before and the thawed texture is grainy, so I'm reluctant to do it.
I could try to find some more jumbo peppers but I had a hard time finding the ones I cooked.

Attachments

• IMG_1858.jpg
    IMG_1858.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1859(1).jpg
    IMG_1859(1).jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 15
No help on your question. But, if you need to get rid of about a half dozen of those twinkies I'm your man!

Jim

Too late, my daughter already raided the fridge..

Saw these on YouTube and realized I'd never added chopped burnt ends to my "poppers".
Cheese mix with Honey Hog dust added along with green salsa inside.
Outside gets Honey Hog dust over the thick cut bacon too, followed by a wipe down with Killer Hogs bbq sauce.
I cooked these in the oven, did not want to fire up the offset just for poppers.
Even without smoking they are great.
I made too much of the filling (cream cheese with shredded cheddar and green salsa), and there's enough left for a a dozen more "twinkies", which I would hate to waste, so should I freeze the excess?
I've frozen cream cheese before and the thawed texture is grainy, so I'm reluctant to do it.
I could try to find some more jumbo peppers but I had a hard time finding the ones I cooked.
Those look great!
As for freezing cream cheese, I have froze it before mixing and never really noticed a texture issue, but I did freeze some that I had already added Cheese, Jalapeños, Ranch Dressing Mix and a bit of whole milk and it defiantly had an off putting texture.

- Jason

The cheese mix would make some good twice smoked potatoes. I use Jeff's recipe and make a bunch of potatoes and freeze the extra for easy sides later on.

Reactions: millerbuilds
Those look Killer! Nice cook. I wanting to do something like buffalo chicken ones this week but still not sure how I going to do them yet? Was looking at Aldi's last week and they had a buffalo chicken dip but I think it would of oozed out like my pimento cheese ones did though they where still tasty.

Reactions: JLeonard
Those look Killer! Nice cook. I wanting to do something like buffalo chicken ones this week but still not sure how I going to do them yet? Was looking at Aldi's last week and they had a buffalo chicken dip but I think it would of oozed out like my pimento cheese ones did though they where still tasty.
Brian,
We make them with Buffalo Chicken quite a bit. Pretty simple process that we follow, we grab a rotisserie chicken from CostCo, shred it, add Wing Sauce and cream cheese to taste. We either stuff the Jalapeño and wrap with bacon. We also do "boats" where we slice the Jalapeno in half lay in some of the buffalo filling and sprinkle with blue cheese and bacon. By doing the boats, I can get rid of the seeds and veins, so it is a bit more mild.

While we are talking about Buffalo Chicken dip, try stuffing it in a Pork Tenderloin and smoking. GAME CHANGER!

- Jason

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky