Termites

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gatorbuff15

Original poster
Mar 20, 2019
Just bought some wood almost positive it doesn’t have termites, but want to make sure that it doesn’t get termites in the future. So what is the best way to prevent termites in your wood stack?

Use it. :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

Seriously, use some cinder blocks to elevate the stack of wood off the ground about a foot.
You could also pre-treat the ground under your wood stack before elevating it.
I probably don't need to say this, but I will. Do not spray the wood stack.

It will burn just fine.
But, if it really bugs you, you could treat the pile with food grade diatomaceous earth.

It is twofold.
If the D. E. is applied directly to the wood pile, it will kill the ants nesting inside the wood.
When the D.E. is spread around the perimeter of the wood pile, the ants that leave the nest to forage will come into contact with the D.E. and won't make it back to the nest.

And into the smoke you're using for your food. Perhaps I'm being a tad delicate. But, I'll pass.

I will guarantee that if you knew what all the FDA has determined what are acceptable contaminants in peanut butter, you would never eat store bought again.

Reactions: chopsaw
Everybody I know just stack the wood about 12" off the ground on cement or steel racks.

Yup---^^^^ That.
The termites need a channel to move within.
If there isn't any, they can't get up to your "off the ground" Wood.

Bear

I don't use molded wood but have split wood and found a wood boring insect or three. Never even hesitated to use it.

I will guarantee that if you knew what all the FDA has determined what are acceptable contaminants in peanut butter, you would never eat store bought again.
Not just peanut butter , but that's a big one . Shell peanuts is another . Most labels for this type of stuff will list 2 sources of protein . The one that says from " other " is usually from bug parts .

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
A vapor barrier will help like this plastic sheet I got from Home Depot then free wood pallets. That’s what I do. That’s all cooking wood
5C8A0FA4-00C2-42D2-AB71-F039770B2C4D.jpeg

I've been working in the food and beverage industry for years. And, while I recognize. And know what you are saying. That doesn't mean I'll add to it if I have a choice.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky