Temp stall

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hogwart

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
Rocklin, CA
How long does the temp stall usually last on pork butts?
I had three 7lb butts and cut them in half and they've been in over 5 hours at a steady 225 degrees and they've been sitting at 148 degrees for well over an hour.
Think they will be ready in the next 4 hours to serve?
God I sure hope so or ill have 25 people sitting here waiting on dinner.

No real answer on how long the stalles last.. Ive had 7# buts take 10hrs and ive had them take 14 hrs... You can smoke it at 250 if u wanna speed it up some...Also u can foil it at around 165-170 and put it in the oven to help with time...If u are going to go to 205 to pull it, u may be a little late with dinner. At 185-190 u can slice it if u want..Good luck with it ..

edit.. Just realized u cut them in half..Crank it up some and u should make dinner ok. Although i have a 5 lb'er on right now and it's at 179 after 8 1/2 hours...So ya never know with those things..

Every cut of meat is a little different some time they don't stall very much but some times they will stall for several hours. What time are you planning on pulling them? Are you planning on foiling at 160? This can help with the stall but you might be pushing it to get them done in 4 hours. Kick up the heat a bit if you need them to get done. Even if you have to kick it up to 275 they will still come out great.

yep what he said. the stall is everything breaking down to make the meat all nice and tender, so each one will be a bit different. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Yeah I was planning on foiling at 160 and taking them to 200-205 to pull them. I think ill crank it up to 250. I think not quite as tender as they could beis better than 25 people hungry and irritated that dinner isn't ready.
I knew I should have been up at 4am this morning to fire her up but I figured if I cut them inhaln half that it would speed up the cooking time, but after the kids softball games and unexpected guests it was midnight by the time I got done getting everything ready for today, slept right through my alarm.
Bah, and now that I think of it I haven't been taking pictured for my first qview on my new smoker I built. I take some and have to forgo the prep pics.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky