Temp Regulation Issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

terhaart2009

Original poster
Apr 30, 2018
I recently purchased a Masterbuilt Bullet Charcoal Smoker. I've previously used an electric and wanted the challenge of a charcoal smoker so I found a great deal on one at my local hardware store. On my first cook, I had issues with getting the temp above about 175. I put a grate in the fire pan to keep my coals out of the ash and that helped. However when I tried the minion method the next time for a long cook, the temp got way too hot and I couldn't keep it down below around 350 even with the top vent almost closed so I had to finish the cook in my electric smoker. I think the problem is that the smoker doesn't have lower vents to help me regulate my fire more accurately. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can keep my temp at 225-250 for a long period of time?

I recently purchased a Masterbuilt Bullet Charcoal Smoker. I've previously used an electric and wanted the challenge of a charcoal smoker so I found a great deal on one at my local hardware store. On my first cook, I had issues with getting the temp above about 175. I put a grate in the fire pan to keep my coals out of the ash and that helped. However when I tried the minion method the next time for a long cook, the temp got way too hot and I couldn't keep it down below around 350 even with the top vent almost closed so I had to finish the cook in my electric smoker. I think the problem is that the smoker doesn't have lower vents to help me regulate my fire more accurately. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can keep my temp at 225-250 for a long period of time?
I would try charcoal basket w/minion bars, my dyna glo runs 225* to 250* without minion bars and 220* with. Don't panic, keep trying different methods till you find something that works

Learning to control temps is a part of the challenge with any smoker, especially charcoal and wood.

First off, don't use water in the water pan. Lets take that out of consideration.

Temps are influenced by the fire triangle of heat-fuel-air. To simplify things, know that you can load a bullet smoker full of cold fuel (charcoal and wood) and control the temps with heat and air. The amount of heat you add to the cold fuel will impact temps and your ability to control temps. A full chimney of hot charcoal has a LOT more heat energy than 8-10 hot briquettes. Finding that initial hot load for your target temp is part of the challenge of smoking with charcoal. Once you find it, small adjustments of the air vent (s) will keep it where you want it, or at least in the ballpark.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky