TEL-TRU Score

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

damascusmaker

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 3, 2015
North East Tennessee
Found this at a local flea market for $1.00 Thinking about using it in my UDS-30. 

Question: If you can see in the photo it tops out @ 240F, will temps over 240F damage the thermometer?

I'm guessing yes, and knowing my UDS swings some at the beginning I don't want to destroy it. Maybe I could remove it during the hot times. Or just use it when I get around to learning about cold smoking.

Its a deal for a $1, too bad it doesn't have a wider temp range. 

Last edited:
Wouldn't work in my UDS. I like to run hotter than 240 for 85-90% of my cooks.

Yes you will need to remove it or risk damage above 240. Make sure and test it in boiling water to see how accurate it is.

Yep, you would likely damage it in a UDS.   It would be perfect for a insulated electric smoker build though.  PID would keep the temps below the max, and you have the cold smoke range covered.

Give it the ice water/boiling water test to make sure someone has not already damaged it.

Thanks for the replies. I did the test: Dead on at 32 F in slushy ice and only 1 degree short in the boiling water corrected for elevation. I'll put it  away until the right situation comes along.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky