Tasso

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fatback joe

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 13, 2007
Hampden, MA
Anybody got a Tasso recipe they think highly of and would like to share? I need to make some more and figured I would try a couple of different recipes while I am at it rather than just use the same one that I have been using for a while.

Thanks in advance.

I was just thinking of making some. Even though I can buy it in every store here, would like to make my own. Here is one I found on another site...Seems like it comes out good. He has pics to show his process.

• 5-lbs Pork Butt (Pork Shoulder), trimmed of external fat and cut into 1"x4" pieces
  • 3 Tbsp Kosher Salt (or plain salt...not iodized)
  • 2 ts Tenderquick
  • 2 Tbsp Cayenne Pepper
  • 2 Tbsp Paprika
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
  • 1 Tbsp Onion Powder
  • 1/2 ts cinnamon (or less even...not too much or it'll taste more like Jamaican-Jerk)
  • 2 Tbsp FRESHLY GROUND Black pepper
  • 1 Tbsp ground White pepper
Cut and trim out your pork strips. Don't worry too much about the exact sizes.
Mix all your dry ingredients together and coat your pork on all sides (the above recipe makes enough seasoning for about 5.5-lbs). Get some salad gloves and really pat this stuff in. Try to get as much as you can to stick to the meat.
Put the strips in your favorite long-term storage container, plastic or glass, and put in a cold fridge (hopefully between 38-40 degrees). Once or twice each day, turn the bag over or turn the strips over in their bowl. Continue for at least 4 days, as long as 7 days. (5 works for me)
Smoke with Pecan.
2 hours at 130-150 with SMOKE

2 hours at 150-180 with SMOKE

1 hour at 180-220 until internal temp is over 160

http://www.randyq.addr.com/tasso/tasso.htm

Thanks cajun for the recipe and thanks goes out to you Fatback also for asking for it. I really like tasso and the other cajun sausages.

I am going to pickup the ingredients tonight and try it. At least get them seasoned up and thrown in the fridge. I have numerous recipes in cookbooks I have. Will try to post some others. I know there are quite a few that don't use a cure. I think I will use a cure to be safe. Love that stuff in Red Beans and Rice and everything else///

No problem. I need to make it. Here is one from John Folse...

INGREDIENTS:
  • 4 pounds pork butt
  • 1/2 cup Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1 tbsp Louisiana Gold Pepper
  • 1/4 cup fresh cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 sup cracked black pepper
  • 1/4 cup salt
  • 1/2 cup granulated garlic
METHOD:
Cut pork butt into one half inch thick strips. Place on a baking pan and season with Worcestershire and Louisiana Gold sauces. Once liquids are well blended into meat, add all remaining ingredients. Mix well into meat to ensure that each piece is well coated with the seasoning mixture. Cover with clear wrap and refrigerate overnight. Using a home style smoker, and using briquettes flavored with pecan wood and sugar cane strips if possible, smoke tasso at 175-200 degrees F for two and a half hours. Once cooked, tasso may be frozen or used to season gumbos, vegetables or a great pot of white or red beans.

Thanks. I made Jambalaya on Sunday and it wasn't the same without it.

Cure or no cure in the recipe makes no difference to me. Thanks again for sharing.

Guess i'm going to have to stop on hwy 190 and cut me a few stalks of sugar cane.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky