Sunday Fattie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oddegan

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
Fremont Michigan
Seeing so many fatties posted lately got me thinking that it's been a while since I've made one but I wanted to try something maybe in a little different vein.
I made some sausage the night before.
1 1/2 pounds ground pork
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp fine ground pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp mace
Mixed it up and let it rest overnight.
Next day made my bacon weave and rolled out my sausage.
IMG_20180603_122336759.jpg
Layed down a nice layer of prosciutto.
IMG_20180603_122848764.jpg

This is where I kind of left the norm for filling. I wanted something different. So I rough chopped dried apricots and mixed them with some whole milk ricotta.
IMG_20180603_123136910.jpg

Wrapped it all up and into the MES-30 at 250 with some apple pellets in the AMNPS.
IMG_20180603_145604356.jpg
I pulled it at 155 and put it in the oven at 375 to crisp up the bacon. Served it up with some homemade gnocchi and spinach.
IMG_20180603_180002508.jpg
IMG_20180603_180710114.jpg

IMG_20180603_181224182.jpg

This is easily one of my favorite fattie flavor combos of all time. The sausage was mild and didn't overwhelm the rest of the ingredients. Definitely be making this one again.
Thanks for taking a look.

Jared

Seeing so many fatties posted lately got me thinking that it's been a while since I've made one but I wanted to try something maybe in a little different vein.
1 1/2 pounds ground pork
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp mace
Next day made my bacon weave and rolled out my sausage.View attachment 366301Layed down a nice layer of prosciutto.
View attachment 366302
This is where I kind of left the norm for filling. I wanted something different. So I rough chopped dried apricots and mixed them with some whole milk ricotta.
View attachment 366303
Wrapped it all up and into the MES-30 at 250 with some apple pellets in the AMNPS.View attachment 366304I pulled it at 155 and put it in the oven at 375 to crisp up the bacon. Served it up with some homemade gnocchi and spinach.View attachment 366305View attachment 366306
View attachment 366307
This is easily one of my favorite fattie flavor combos of all time. The sausage was mild and didn't overwhelm the rest of the ingredients. Definitely be making this one again.

Jared
Interesting! That is a creative flavor combination!

I'm curious. How were the dried apricots? Chewy? Did they moisten up from the meat and get soft?

Last edited:
They were soft but in no way mushy. The whole thing was a great combo of both taste and texture. Salty, sweet, and creamy. My wife and I both thought it was fantastic. Kids not so much. Barbarians!

Reactions: KrisUpInSmoke
Looks real good oddegan, I never would have thought to put dried fruit in a fatty. If your kids are really young just tell them that there gummy bears instead of apricots.

Point for sure.

Chris

Wow, Jared!
I wasn't sure about the ingredients when I started to read this.
But it sure sounds like they all went together very well!
And it sure looks like a great meal!
Al

If your kids are really young just tell them that there gummy bears instead of apricots.
My youngest is 17. They are just picky eaters. One of my failings as a parent I guess
Thanks Al. Everything tasted great together. The only thing I was worried about was the sausage overpowering the flavor of the other ingredients.

1 1/2 pounds ground pork
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp mace
Next day made my bacon weave and rolled out my sausage.View attachment 366301Layed down a nice layer of prosciutto.
View attachment 366302
View attachment 366303
Wrapped it all up and into the MES-30 at 250 with some apple pellets in the AMNPS.View attachment 366304I pulled it at 155 and put it in the oven at 375 to crisp up the bacon. Served it up with some homemade gnocchi and spinach.View attachment 366305View attachment 366306
View attachment 366307

Jared
Looks amazing Jared...bet it tastes it too! :p

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky