Summer sausage taking a long time to finish

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

NBraun

Original poster
Apr 23, 2019
Seriously, I don't know if its me or if this is normal. I'm used to sausage taking a while to finish, but I never ran into a time where it took almost 24 hours.

I made 20lbs of venison sausage using 2 1/2" fiborous casings. I had my small propane smoker filled to the max. I used my fireboard thermometer to measure smoker temp, and two of the sausages, as well as following up with a thermapen. I had my smoker temp at 175-200, and the sausage was on for 21 hours and they had only reached an internal of 145, after stalling out for 6 hours.

I pulled them at 145, because I had to go to work, and I think they're fine because of the time they were at 145.

I feel like I'm going crazy,, people talk about times and it seems like they get to temp in at least 10 hours, maybe 12, and here I am taking over 21 hours. I've calibrated all of my thermometers and they're correct, not to mention the thermapen is the industry standard.

Am I wrong here?

Seriously, I don't know if its me or if this is normal. I'm used to sausage taking a while to finish, but I never ran into a time where it took almost 24 hours.

I made 20lbs of venison sausage using 2 1/2" fiborous casings. I had my small propane smoker filled to the max. I used my fireboard thermometer to measure smoker temp, and two of the sausages, as well as following up with a thermapen. I had my smoker temp at 175-200, and the sausage was on for 21 hours and they had only reached an internal of 145, after stalling out for 6 hours.

I pulled them at 145, because I had to go to work, and I think they're fine because of the time they were at 145.

I feel like I'm going crazy,, people talk about times and it seems like they get to temp in at least 10 hours, maybe 12, and here I am taking over 21 hours. I've calibrated all of my thermometers and they're correct, not to mention the thermapen is the industry standard.

Am I wrong here?
D o you normally do 20lb batches?

Longest I've had to go is 16 hours.

Should be fine depending on how long you had it at 145.

Been there. BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker Beat me! Definitely never a good idea to really load a smoker or you have issues like this but for me the key was a EDIT warming step of sorts before the smoke provided cured product.

Last edited:
Alrighty, Thanks for the input guys.

I've only done a few small batches before this, and they've all gone fine. I have a sous vide machine, would I be able to water bath them up to 155 yet to be on the safe side?

Am I wrong here?
takes a long time for temps under 175, you are not wrong. redbarn took 17 hours for me. thats a long time in a stick burner. My smoker was not crowded. 25 pound batch.
40B8F6D8-1C92-4420-92B3-77CC86DEFFA1.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: smokin peachey
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky