Starting my Snack Stick/sausage adventure, may need some guidance.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kilohertz

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 29, 2022
Vernon, BC Canada
I'm just about done my MES30 mods and was thinking I haven't tried making sausage yet, seems like the perfect smoker for this.

I have some of the required materials already, let me know what you think of what I have and what may be used or may need to be improved/changed.

KitchenAid stand mixer with new meat grinder and sausage stuffer kit, 2 or 3 different tubes
MES30 modded for the Mailbox and now with 6 racks, able to use rods for hanging as well
PID controller for accurate temp control
AMNPS tray and smoke tube
Cure #1 and Morton TQ
Every possible spice (I love to cook)

I was going to start with High Mountain snack stick kit but they are $40 locally, nuts! I really just need casings, but in our small town, can't seem to find them. I want to start with snack sticks.

Guessing 80/20 ground beef, maybe with a little ground pork, then season as desired. Recipes are easy to find, it's more the method and equipment I may need some help with.

Thanks all.

Cheers

Personally I would not try stuffing snack sticks with a KA grinder attachment. Stuffing sausage with one is no day at the park, but sticks will be very difficult Because of the small diameter.

Personally I would not try stuffing snack sticks with a KA grinder attachment. Stuffing sausage with one is no day at the park, but sticks will be very difficult Because of the small diameter.
Now you tell me, lol, see my other thread on PITA KitchenAid mixer.

Cheers

Reactions: zwiller
Tonight I am planning on smoking my first batch of SSs (all 6 of them) and am wondering if the smoke and cook has to occur concurrently or can I cool smoke, it's about 75* now, tonight, refrigerate then cook to temp tomorrow? I'm just not sure if I'll have time to do both tonight, it's 5:30pm local.

Thanks!

Tonight I am planning on smoking my first batch of SSs (all 6 of them) and am wondering if the smoke and cook has to occur concurrently or can I cool smoke, it's about 75* now, tonight, refrigerate then cook to temp tomorrow? I'm just not sure if I'll have time to do both tonight, it's 5:30pm local.

Thanks!
If they have cure#1 yes you can, under 80F, but back under refrigeration when done. Then finish cooking tomorrow.

Thanks,

This is a Hi Mountain SS kit so I'm not sure what they use for cure. I better play it safe and just do it in one go. From what I read start at 130* then bump 10* every hour until IT gets 151-154. Should put me about 10:30pm so not too late.

Cheers

From what I read start at 130* then bump 10* every hour until IT gets 151-154.

That's a start ... Let me clarify... 130 for the first hour and then bump temps 10 every hour until you get to a MAX Smoker temp of 175`... The internal temp of the stick is what you want to be between 151-154` ... I usually find around 6 hours for me ...

As for casings .. I have been getting my 19 MM Mohogany casings for sticks from OwensBBQ.com... I also buy a lot of their stick seasonings ...

Reactions: kilohertz
2 1/2 hours in smoker is 150° stick IT 129°. This has become the norm with any new adventures for me in smoking and barbeque, we had a huge wind event this afternoon temperatures plummeted to 17°, all the PID tuning went out the window. However, I’m sitting next to the smoker babysitting it now the sun is back out. Winds died down, and everything is good.

More later including pics.

Cheers

KH, Please post a pic or two of your first go at sticks !
Here you go. They hit 153 at about 11:30 so I shut it down and cracked the door open to cool, then promptly fell asleep. I put them in the fridge to bloom this morning and will try them after work today.

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers

IMG_5191.JPG

IMG_5195.jpeg

Last edited:
Another few days of drying in the house with the air conditioner going humidity is about 25%. They seem to be getting better. I had a small sample tonight and easier to take a bite. Still a bit soft though. I just bought 30 pounds of ground beef from my neighbour who slaughtered his cow a month ago so that should keep me going for a while. My sausage stuffer should arrive tomorrow so hoping to do another batch this weekend less mixing time better texture, not as much water, etc..

Now I’m shopping for a new meat grinder, looking at Kitchener, Lem, Vevor etc.

More later.

Cheers

I want a bigger grinder, but I have no complaints with my 8# Weston. It does everything I ask of it, but I do have to do more knifework that I wouldn't have to do with a bigger grinder.

Just one of those things to consider ....... I really didn't know at the time I bought it that I was going to become a regular sausage maker .... was just testing the waters, but it turned out that I make a lot of sausage and a bigger grinder would have benefitted me more. Hindsight is 20/20, as they say.

Weston 33-0201-W ........ compare the specs to what you're looking at. The Weston does a good job but, I do want to upgrade to a bigger grinder to cut down on knifework since I do a lot of sausage.

Not saying it won't do you fine, but mine has more motor in an 8# vs the 12# you're looking at.

Mine is something around 3/4 horsepower, but 1.5 is where I want to be.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky