St Louis Ribs On The UDS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

freakynorm

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
Mount Vernon, Washington
I had a craving for some ribs again. The first time I did 3 racks and they came out great. The middle rack was a bit overdone since it probably catches most of the heat but it was still tender and good.

The wife isn't a fan of the sweet and wet ribs that I enjoy so she requested a dry rack. For hers I used a maple jalapeno rub I got from Cabelas and I used my homemade rub for the other two. Previously I did the 3-2-1 method and they were falling off the bone like a mofo. So I tried a 2.5-1.5-.45 this time and they were still super fall off the bone. I might try a 2-1-1 next time. I don't mind them falling off the bone like that, just makes it a lil messier to eat.

This time I also used a heat diffuser since the middle rack took the brunt of the heat last time. Last time around I only used a few TBSP's of rub just prior to cooking. This time I put them in the night before with a healthy coating of rub on and then also applied a little more just before smoking. On my racks I put them in foil after 2.5 hours with some honey, tiger sauce, brown sugar, apple juice and Parkay again. Then toss them back on the smoker for another 45 mins and basted them twice with a glaze I made.

They came out good, but it doesn't look like they got as much of a smoke ring as last time and I even used more wood this time. They still taste awesome though. I wonder if the extra thick coating of rub doesn't let it soak up enough smoke during the reaction process or maybe due to the diffuser?

I did pick up a rib rack the other day but forgot I had it and didn't use it. If I do use it next time do you usually flip them or turn em around at some point if using a rib rack? I wonder if they might even cook a bit more evenly since 3 slabs takes up almost all the grilling area? What's the best way to cut ribs up without shredding them all to heck? I was thinking one of those old school electric knives?  Any tips/suggestions are welcome!
439.gif

Before the foil....

Foil is ready...I put the concoction on the bottom and also on top of the ribs....

Wrapped in foil and I hit the wife's portion with a quick spritz of juice....

All done and resting up before I cut em up.....

The wife's portion....I didn't get much of the maple jalapeno flavor but still tasty.....her's seemed to hang onto the bone a lil more than mine. They were not as moist as mine but she's weird and likes them that way.

Mine were super juicy with a perfect balance of sweet and heat....

Leftovers for tomorrow....WOOT!

They look great to me
drool.gif

As far as turning them I don"t . unless one side is running hotter then the other. On mine without the  heat diffuser it would be up to 50 degrees difference from one side to the other.

with it it was only 5 degrees off .

Looks like you didn't foil your wife's rack?  Foiling makes them REALLY tender.

I have WSM and I go 2-1.5-1.5 and they come out perfect with the half-moon bite marks.  Personally I don't want the meat falling off the bone but I do want it to bite off cleanly.  With this time I get what I want and a great bark.

If your ribs aren't falling off the bones they will be easier to slice.

Good luck and good smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky