Spatchcock Chicken on my new BGE... not great:(

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokingirl2

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
SoCal
So for my first BGE smoke, I made a spatchcock chicken. I don't have a raised grid so I did indirect cooking with a drip pan underneath to try and compensate. I had looked up suggestions on the way to cook it and one person had said NO CHUNKS OF WOOD! Well, I didn't follow his advice and put three chunks of apple wood one top of my coals. I let it go at 350 for about an hour. It was nice and crispy brown and I had very high expectations. But it was too smoky!!! My daughter's comment was that it smelled like bacon (and it did!). Texture was good. It was nice and juicy. But the taste was less than desireable. I still feel like I can taste the smoke on my tonge and it's been sixteen hours! So will simply not using extra wood next time solve my problem? My whole family was so excited for my first BGE product and it was disappointing:( HELP!

Yes, this is what fine-tuning does and adjust to you and your family's particular tastes.  

As a positive note, please keep a logbook of your smokes; what you did, how you liked the results, what you will change on the next smoke. Maybe only 1 chunk, no chunks, 2 chunks, etc.  But, write it down for reference.  2 years from now your memory will fade, keep a log and it won't fade as nearly as fast!

Note to self: if you think it, ink it!

What Pops said....except it doesn't take two years...it takes me the next time I do chicken.  :)  As, another suggestion, try brining the bird prior to your cook.  Brining is very easy and will impart flavor deep into the bird. 

Yes, this is what fine-tuning does and adjust to you and your family's particular tastes.  

As a positive note, please keep a logbook of your smokes; what you did, how you liked the results, what you will change on the next smoke. Maybe only 1 chunk, no chunks, 2 chunks, etc.  But, write it down for reference.  2 years from now your memory will fade, keep a log and it won't fade as nearly as fast!

Note to self: if you think it, ink it!
Great suggestions Pops!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky