Southside Barbecue Dino Rib

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
I never ate one, so, I stopped in to the Southside Barbecue in Bastrop today and had one.

It was not bad - Southside surely knows how to cook tender beef (as was my previous two moist brisket drive-through experiences) but the dino rib did not have the beefy flavor that chuck, or a brisket (which is only a close second to chuck for me) has, so I was a bit disappointed. Nevertheless it was good but at $30 per pound I will not be buying another. The rib was $33.

It was my first time inside Southside and I was impressed with the layout of the place, the cleanliness, and the fact that their air conditioning actually works! The pickles, onions and jalapenos were abundant and fresh and their bold sauce seems a bit nicer than their regular sauce to me.

Definitely the nicest of any of the brisket options in Bastrop in my humble opinion.

Reactions: JLeonard
Sometimes commercial BBQ joints fall short of what one can do at home. Not being in Texas that definitely holds true for around here. And yikes, $30-32/lb, yup I'm gonna smoke 'em myself!

Overall Southside BBQ does a good job and they do have a really good reputation. As Chris noted though in a roundabout way, they, like most commercial places, cook for the masses hence the flavor profiles are not going to be what we enjoy by doing it ourselves. They do not cater to truly discriminating BBQ enthusiasts like us. That price does seem on the high side too but I know how long it takes to smoke those things. I truly wish that you and I could hook up. I have several racks of CPB beef chuck short ribs and it'd be an honor to share a rack with you to cook for yourself...or heck, I'd be thrilled to do them for you and make a great BBQ experience. You'd certainly see a huge quality difference, I can promise you that :emoji_wink: Dino ribs are a true favorite due to the deep, rich, succulent beefiness of these babies. So flavorful, juicy, and tender.

Robert

Gentlemen,

I am a hermit, and I am quite happy being one! :emoji_sunglasses:

"He who runs alone, runs the fastest" - Native American proverb.

Gentlemen,

I am a hermit, and I am quite happy being one!
My most sincere apologies sir. It was not my intention in any way to put you behind the 8-ball. Tracy and I just tend to be generous by nature and I was only trying to let you know the offer still stands should you choose to accept it. I have a very deep respect for the info you've shared as well as your desire to "run alone and run fastest". I hope I did not offend you.

Robert

Overall Southside BBQ does a good job and they do have a really good reputation. As Chris noted though in a roundabout way, they, like most commercial places, cook for the masses hence the flavor profiles are not going to be what we enjoy by doing it ourselves. They do not cater to truly discriminating BBQ enthusiasts like us. That price does seem on the high side too but I know how long it takes to smoke those things.

I went to Southside again yesterday. Ordered "not lean" brisket, some pork steak, and after they gave me a taste of their beef sausage, added some of that to my plate along with their really excellent potato salad. It was pricey for sure, but everything was really good considering I did not have to stand in front of a smoker for 14-hours...

They surely know how to cook brisket and their pork steak is excellent. The real surprise was the sausage - it was great - they sure know how to cook sausage too.

The older and more decrepit I get, the easier it is to go to Southside for a taste of barbecue. 🤠

Reactions: mike243 and chopsaw
Went to Southside again - this time to get some of their very good beef sausage and some potato salad. While there I saw something they call a "sausage slammer," - kind of a mini fattie made up of some plain-Jane pork sausage stuffed with a jalapeno and welfare cheese and wrapped in bacon.

Not so good in my humble opinion - the cheap government cheese is just bad news and the whole ordeal left a bad taste in my mouth that I am now waiting to dissipate so I can get back to the beef sausage.

It looked good in the photograph.

Reactions: tallbm
They surely know how to cook brisket and their pork steak is excellent. The real surprise was the sausage - it was great - they sure know how to cook sausage too.
Yes sir they do...on all counts. Quite a while ago I lived in a little town called Manor, which is about 10 miles east of Elgin. There was a Southside in Elgin and we'd take a back road route there on the motorcycles on a regular basis. The food was really good. In all honesty though, this was before I started doing my own Q but if I had the chance, I'd go back to Southside in a heartbeat. My absolute favorite was in fact the beef sausage :emoji_wink: If you get bored and don't mind a bit of a drive, head north to Taylor and pay a visit to Louis Mueller's. Some of the absolute best on the planet.
The older and more decrepit I get, the easier it is to go to Southside for a taste of barbecue.
You sir have earned that right. Let somebody else do the cooking once in a while.
While there I saw something they call a "sausage slammer," - kind of a mini fattie made up of some plain-Jane pork sausage stuffed with a jalapeno and welfare cheese and wrapped in bacon.
UGH!! Based on your description, it sounds pretty much inedible. I won't be ordering one of those if/when I go back.
It looked good in the photograph
Yep, and so does a McDonald's Quarter Pounder With Cheese but we know the truth :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Yes sir they do...on all counts. Quite a while ago I lived in a little town called Manor, which is about 10 miles east of Elgin. There was a Southside in Elgin and we'd take a back road route there on the motorcycles on a regular basis. The food was really good. In all honesty though, this was before I started doing my own Q but if I had the chance, I'd go back to Southside in a heartbeat. My absolute favorite was in fact the beef sausage :emoji_wink: If you get bored and don't mind a bit of a drive, head north to Taylor and pay a visit to Louis Mueller's. Some of the absolute best on the planet.

You sir have earned that right. Let somebody else do the cooking once in a while.

UGH!! Based on your description, it sounds pretty much inedible. I won't be ordering one of those if/when I go back.

Yep, and so does a McDonald's Quarter Pounder With Cheese but we know the truth :emoji_laughing:

Robert
I believe that the Southside in Elgin was the first actual barbecue joint I tried in Texas way back in 2009 - my first visit to Texas. I went to Myer's a few times too.

I do not consider myself to be a barbecue connoisseur - I'm more of just a cook that knows what he likes - so I never really dove into all the different barbecue joints around these parts. I tried smoking a few briskets and a couple of them were not bad but I just do not have the patience for brisket - I've thrown quite a few in the garbage.

I have been thinking about a trip to Mueller's one of these days - I seem to recall that Mueller's is where Arron Franklin worked before his ego went to his head - I mean, before he knew someone at Texas Monthly, went on PBS, opened his restaurant, and became famous...

Along the lines of the pictures at McDonald's, I did some consulting for a guy in Scottsdale - he was relatively skilled but so are lots of people I've known. However, he hooked up with a "partner" that had a direct connection to Phoenix Home and Garden Magazine and they did an article on the guy and next thing you know he's rich and famous. And here's the thing - he believed it!

Homie don't play dat. :emoji_sunglasses:

Last edited:
Try Stiles Switch on the other side of Austin for the dino ribs. Best that I've ever had in a restaurant.

Hey - I liked gov'ment cheese!

I fired up my smoker ONCE this summer. Too damn hot and I was too sore all summer. Did do BBB and a tasty surprise I entered into a certain contest :) a couple of weekends ago and I backed that up with pulled pork and a slab of babybacks this past weekend.

I kinda forgot that TBS made my back hurt a little less.......

I believe that the Southside in Elgin was the first actual barbecue joint I tried in Texas way back in 2009
The timing is interesting. That's when I lived in Manor and made regular trips into Elgin.
I went to Myer's a few times too.
Same here. Myers is more known for their sausage. They do a good job on some of it but I still like Southside better. I'm a bit of a sausage junkie....and a snob :emoji_wink: Very discriminating where my sausage is concerned and I'm on a perpetual quest to find the best out there. Another company (I think they are based in Fredericksburg but not sure) that makes some good sausage is Opas.
I have been thinking about a trip to Mueller's one of these days
If/when you go, just take 95 north out of Bastrop and it'll take you straight to 79 in Taylor a couple blocks west of Mueller's. There is a little jog you'll have to take in Elgin but it's a nice drive. Very little traffic and no stop lights to speak of.
I seem to recall that Mueller's is where Arron Franklin worked before his ego went to his head - I mean, before he knew someone at Texas Monthly, went on PBS, opened his restaurant, and became famous...
This I had not heard but now you have me curious. I might have to do a little research. Never been a big fan of Franklin himself or his food. Tracy and I have had it and we were very underwhelmed.
Try Stiles Switch on the other side of Austin for the dino ribs.
Cannot speak for the Stiles Switch on the other side of Austin but a good friend has been to the one in Cedar Park and he was not the least bit impressed. Said the food was just flavorless, not up to par, and grossly over priced. Don't know if they are franchises or owned and operated by the same people but there seems to be a big discrepancy between the two restaurants.

Robert

Went to Southside again - this time to get some of their very good beef sausage and some potato salad. While there I saw something they call a "sausage slammer," - kind of a mini fattie made up of some plain-Jane pork sausage stuffed with a jalapeno and welfare cheese and wrapped in bacon.

Not so good in my humble opinion - the cheap government cheese is just bad news and the whole ordeal left a bad taste in my mouth that I am now waiting to dissipate so I can get back to the beef sausage.

It looked good in the photograph.
Man that was funny, thanks for the laugh!!

Reactions: smokin peachey
tx smoker tx smoker

The strange thing is that when Southside first opened in Bastrop, all the local neighbors did nothing but badmouth the place. I think they do a great job - except for the mini-fattie of course. I really like that the place is clean and their air-conditioning works - that makes the great food all that much better.

Their beef sausage is very good and I have been a sausage snob for many years - Italian sausage of course being from back east (and pork-only polish sausage too). Never thought I would call a beef sausage, a sausage, because they were hot dogs, or kielbasa/knockwurst (pretty much the same thing) to me. I'm down with the Southside beef sausage and looking forward to some cool weather so I can barbecue a few.

But until the weather cools, I am a Southside guy.

I will try Louie Mueller Barbecue when I feel motivated. I read Arron Franklin's book but I just do not like the guy - he creeps me out - so he will never have the high honor of having me in his store. :emoji_laughing:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky