South Louisiana Blue Crabby 4th of July

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Those blue crabs bring back find memories growing up on the gulf side of Florida. We used chicken legs for bait in our small square folding traps.

Making me hungry for seafood, and it's only 9am.

Ive never had them, but boy do I really want to now! Awesome cook!

WOO HOO Keith!! That is amazing my friend. Reminds me of when I lived real close to the Chesapeake Bay and we had crab shacks on pretty much every corner selling steamed spiced crabs. Back then it was $30 a bushel and pretty much every weekend we'd do at least two bushels. Sit all day cracking crabs and drinking cold barley pops. Wow...the memories. Your picnic table even looks exactly like what we used to spread out.

Robert
Those same crabs today are triple in as much as $300.00 bushel for #1's

Warren

Reactions: indaswamp
Typical 4th of July here in the Bayou State. Not many places in America where you will see a 12 year old driving a inboard mud boat past a camp while prepping crabs for the pot to boil!
View attachment 669681

Lake Des Allemands in St. James Parish Louisiana in known throughout the state to have the best crabs. This is where my Uncle's Camp is located.
View attachment 669667

Checking the crab pots one last time early this morning...
View attachment 669666

The morning haul...
View attachment 669671
Getting the boil water hot...
View attachment 669669

Dividing the crabs up for 2 pots. We had between 180-200....
View attachment 669672

The crabs ready for 1 pot...
View attachment 669670

Done after a 20 minute soak...
View attachment 669673
View attachment 669674

Pouring out on the tables...
View attachment 669675
View attachment 669676

And LET'S EAT!!!!!!!!
View attachment 669677

Being an Italian family, we had so much food!!! Sicilian Caponata, Eggplant Parmesan, Charcuterie board, Italian shrimp salad,...... I brought the board and a Carpese Salad...
View attachment 669668

There were a lot of desserts, but OMG the homemade pistachio and cranberry biscotti were outrageous!!! I WILL be getting the recipe for those!!!!
View attachment 669680

She made them with two different glazes, Basic Sugar Glaze and Chocolate. The Chocolate was incredible with the pistachio nuts!

View attachment 669678
View attachment 669679
I visited Baton Rouge on a work trip once…. Some of the best food I’ve had was down there!!!

Reactions: indaswamp
Those same crabs today are triple in as much as $300.00 bushel for #1's

Warren
Yep. Crab prices have gone insane lately. That is why it is so nice to be able to catch them ourselves right out the camp door.

This is the same as Frogmore right Indaswamp.

Warren
No idea what frogmore is Warren....

Damn Keith… not sure what else to say… other than slap a bib on this ol redneck, I’d have dove in head first! Heck of a meal you all had there!

1DED9400-472E-4468-9572-D71171BF4423.gif

Nothing better than a crab, or crawfish, boil, family/friends, and cold beer! My wife and I went to MS gulf coast for our wedding anniversary and brought back 40lbs of cajun sausage and 5lbs of lump blue crab when we passed through LA on the way back home. There are only two places that I know of that make and sell the REAL cajun sausage in Livingston Parish, which happens to be where my dad was born and raised. My wife has made some crab cakes and crab au gratin with the crab we brought home. She surprised me one morning by making an omelet with the au gratin, and this by far the best omelet I have ever had in my life.

We did go to a little seafood place that serves some of the po' boys I've ever had. My wife got the shrimp and I got the crawfish. I do miss the people, and my family LA, and the seafood. I don't miss the heat and humidity in the least!

Typical 4th of July here in the Bayou State. Not many places in America where you will see a 12 year old driving a inboard mud boat past a camp while prepping crabs for the pot to boil!
View attachment 669681

Lake Des Allemands in St. James Parish Louisiana in known throughout the state to have the best crabs. This is where my Uncle's Camp is located.
View attachment 669667

Checking the crab pots one last time early this morning...
View attachment 669666

The morning haul...
View attachment 669671
Getting the boil water hot...
View attachment 669669

Dividing the crabs up for 2 pots. We had between 180-200....
View attachment 669672

The crabs ready for 1 pot...
View attachment 669670

Done after a 20 minute soak...
View attachment 669673
View attachment 669674

Pouring out on the tables...
View attachment 669675
View attachment 669676

And LET'S EAT!!!!!!!!
View attachment 669677

Being an Italian family, we had so much food!!! Sicilian Caponata, Eggplant Parmesan, Charcuterie board, Italian shrimp salad,...... I brought the board and a Carpese Salad...
View attachment 669668

There were a lot of desserts, but OMG the homemade pistachio and cranberry biscotti were outrageous!!! I WILL be getting the recipe for those!!!!
View attachment 669680

She made them with two different glazes, Basic Sugar Glaze and Chocolate. The Chocolate was incredible with the pistachio nuts!

View attachment 669678
View attachment 669679
Yeah, if you wanna pass along that recipe...I'll take it. I've always been a fan and my wife LOVES a good biscotti!!

Yep. Crab prices have gone insane lately. That is why it is so nice to be able to catch them ourselves right out the camp door.

No idea what frogmore is Warren....
Look it up on Google. A friend from Mississippi told us that's what it was called. I looked it up and it as he served was crabs shrimp clams' potatoes and corn and sausage. I think that was all and they just dumped it out on the table. This was done in Past Christen Ms.

Warren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky