Soot covered meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lowandslow1

Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
I just found a slightly used pretty much new 30" Sportsman Elite Two Door Vertical Gas Smoker at a garage sale a few weeks ago. I fully cleaned it and bought a brand new tank of propane just for the smoker, cleaning out the lines and all holes/vents of the smoker. I have smoked three times making chicken breasts, Turkey legs and pork loin. All three are incredible juicy with the perfect "pink circle" on the loin and the breasts. I even have done corn and everything tastes great but all the meat and corn keeps getting covered in what appears to be soot. The soot covers the top of the meat and wipes off with a paper towel. When I cut the meat it the cutting board becomes stained with the soot. Doing some research online I see that I the wood could be burning wrong. I usually soak the wood chips overnight. I might try to keep the vents all the way open on my next try. The temperature in the cooker stays within the right temperature for all the meats. Any ideas on what I can do to avoid covering my meat in soot.

More air flow through the smoker....   Using a step drill, drill 3/4-1" air holes at the locations shown...   They can be closed with refer magnets if you so choose...  ALSO, make sure meats are dry on the surface and up to ambient temp before adding smoke...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky