Soon to be ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
Injected thoroughly along the bones, and then every inch on all sides. Pop's Brine with about a tablespoon of pickling spice.

Soaking for 10 - 12 days.
20231017_171351.jpg

Injected thoroughly along the bones, and then every inch on all sides. Pop's Brine with about a tablespoon of pickling spice.

Soaking for 10 - 12 days.View attachment 678751
My hams are all pork butt/shoulders like this. Saw some on sale for $0.89/lb starting tomorrow BUT I can't spare the freezer space. My big yearly meat hunting adventure is coming up in a few weeks and I gotta have room for all meat from the field :D

I haven't seen prices on butts like that in several years.
I buy all mine at Gordons food service . They're around $1.89 .
I buy the rest of my stuff at a local grocery , but I still check meat prices .
They had " Prime " pork butts . $4.50 a lb . Average weight was around 10 lbs. Average price was $48.00 for a 10 pound pork butt . Had a bunch of them too . I had to do a triple take .

My hams are all pork butt/shoulders like this. Saw some on sale for $0.89/lb starting tomorrow BUT I can't spare the freezer space. My big yearly meat hunting adventure is coming up in a few weeks and I gotta have room for all meat from the field :D
Our rifle season starts Saturday. Have a buck tag and 2 doe tags. Only have space for one.

The first decent deer, buck or doe, and I'm taking a shot.

Reactions: BigW.
Wow. I haven't seen prices on butts like that in several years. And I DO have the freezer space. 😭😭😭 Prices are closer to Bill's. Looking forward to your ham, Bill.
About 2 times a month, across about 3-4 different grocery stores in the area, I can get pork butts for $0.89-$0.99/lbs . I'm very fortunate like this.
Perk of living in a big city in TX :D

Our rifle season starts Saturday. Have a buck tag and 2 doe tags. Only have space for one.

The first decent deer, buck or doe, and I'm taking a shot.
Nice plan, those does sure do taste fantastic!

For 10 years now I have been hunting on trophy ranches that are regulated differently with tags. They report to the state on animal numbers via some process, and then the state issues them tags.

They then sell those tags for trophy hunting, BUT trophy hunters are about horns 10x more than meat so there is an abundance of does and cull bucks (spikes, ugly horn, etc.).

I go and shoot as many meat deer as I can get and store using their tags. The price per deer and the cost of the trip/stay is way more economical than leasing land for a year. Plus I get more deer in a shorter period of time. Another plus is that the guys at the ranch like this kind of hunt because it helps with their non-buck numbers management. The land can only support so many deer before the deer population strains the land for resources (food usually).

Win-win for me. I'll be doing this unless the day comes I get some land with animals on it but I don't really see that happening because I don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars laying around to be buying that kind of land lol :D

I'm sighted in and ready for the hunt. Exciting aye!?

About 2 times a month, across about 3-4 different grocery stores in the area, I can get pork butts for $0.89-$0.99/lbs . I'm very fortunate like this.
Perk of living in a big city in TX :D

Nice plan, those does sure do taste fantastic!

For 10 years now I have been hunting on trophy ranches that are regulated differently with tags. They report to the state on animal numbers via some process, and then the state issues them tags.

They then sell those tags for trophy hunting, BUT trophy hunters are about horns 10x more than meat so there is an abundance of does and cull bucks (spikes, ugly horn, etc.).

I go and shoot as many meat deer as I can get and store using their tags. The price per deer and the cost of the trip/stay is way more economical than leasing land for a year. Plus I get more deer in a shorter period of time. Another plus is that the guys at the ranch like this kind of hunt because it helps with their non-buck numbers management. The land can only support so many deer before the deer population strains the land for resources (food usually).

Win-win for me. I'll be doing this unless the day comes I get some land with animals on it but I don't really see that happening because I don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars laying around to be buying that kind of land lol :D

I'm sighted in and ready for the hunt. Exciting aye!?
Deer leases are big money. I'm lucky enough to have 115 acres of my own to hunt.

Reactions: chopsaw and tallbm
Nice! Maybe someday I'll stumble into some land like that but I don't see it clearly happening anytime soon :D
I am also very fortunate to have friends that invite me to hunt on their ranch near San Angelo.

Reactions: tallbm
Looks great Bill . I started one on the 26th of Oct. Going 14 days . I used the ham injection from Dave . I also started a small hunk for Capicola with cure 2 . It's going in a Umai bag when the 2 weeks are up .

Yours has great color , and looks super tender .

Reactions: bill ace 350
Looks great Bill . I started one on the 26th of Oct. Going 14 days . I used the ham injection from Dave . I also started a small hunk for Capicola with cure 2 . It's going in a Umai bag when the 2 weeks are up .

Yours has great color , and looks super tender .
Thanks! Eyes open for an actual fresh ham. Commissary sometimes has then. I like the traditional look of a real ham, and to me the texture is a little firmer.

Reactions: chopsaw
I like the traditional look of a real ham, and to me the texture is a little firmer.
Agree 100% . Next best thing is a picnic shoulder or pork cushion that comes from the picnic area .
I found a whole front leg at GFS one time . I deboned the picnic section and made ham out of it . Better texture than a butt .
20210218_075317.jpg

Looks fabulous Bill, real good color. I see some fried ham and eggs in your future.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky