Soon to be Canadian Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
Grabbed a 10lb pork loin at the commissary at lunch.
2 bucks a pound.

Will do half in wet brine, half with dry rub.
20231020_125655.jpg

Nice looking loin .
I'd have to cut it in thirds . Cure the big end and the middle and smoke the smaller tail end or cut it up for chops or schnitzel . That light / dark meat section is the best part .

Reactions: bill ace 350
Nice looking loin .
I'd have to cut it in thirds . Cure the big end and the middle and smoke the smaller tail end or cut it up for chops or schnitzel . That light / dark meat section is the best part .
Thinking of taking a piece and trying to make Lonzino.

Any tips/suggestions?

Reactions: chopsaw
Thinking of taking a piece and trying to make Lonzino.
Great Idea . I did one last March in a Umai bag . If you don't have the conditions or set up , the Umai bags are a great way to go .
Do the dry cure for 2 weeks , then vac in the Umai and take the weight , and figure the target weight . I go for 40% , but it doesn't always make it if the outside dries to fast .
Here's the loin .
2 week cure with cure #2 , then into the Umai for drying .
20230214_152521.jpg
After drying .
20230323_105609.jpg
Sliced .
20230323_110227.jpg
This stuff is awesome . I use Len Poli's info , but apply the Umai directions .

Great Idea . I did one last March in a Umai bag . If you don't have the conditions or set up , the Umai bags are a great way to go .
Do the dry cure for 2 weeks , then vac in the Umai and take the weight , and figure the target weight . I go for 40% , but it doesn't always make it if the outside dries to fast .
Here's the loin .
2 week cure with cure #2 , then into the Umai for drying .
View attachment 678945
After drying .
View attachment 678946
Sliced .
View attachment 678947
This stuff is awesome . I use Len Poli's info , but apply the Umai directions .
That looks great. I do have Umai bags! Going this route.

Sounds great . I'll be watching . I bought 2 butts yesterday after seeing your ham thread .
Just did 2 butts and a brisket last week for sausage , so I'm thinking cure one for ham and maybe do a Umai Capicola .

This was a Coppa Cotto I did using the profile from Len Poli , but TQ for the curing .
The TQ gives it great texture . Fennel / anise seasoning and smoked .
20220911_164820.jpg
20220912_070549.jpg

Sounds great . I'll be watching . I bought 2 butts yesterday after seeing your ham thread .
Just did 2 butts and a brisket last week for sausage , so I'm thinking cure one for ham and maybe do a Umai Capicola .

This was a Coppa Cotto I did using the profile from Len Poli , but TQ for the curing .
The TQ gives it great texture . Fennel / anise seasoning and smoked .
View attachment 678969
View attachment 678970
Those look great! The TQ sounds like a plan.

Far too many dismiss TQ...

Reactions: chopsaw
Far too many dismiss TQ...
I agree , but follow the Umai directions if that what you're doing . Didn't mean to confuse this . The Cotto was cured and cooked .
Cure 2 and I think it's 3% salt for the Umai . That's important . Find their instruction for doing a loin .

Looking to do a loin for Canadian bacon and wondering whether how the dry vs wet cure contest went. I was a little concerned about dry cure because of the thickness of the meat so I got an injector but I see plenty of people here do dry cures for CB.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky