Sometimes it's tough getting old(er)...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So sorry. I been though 2 now and feel your pain. As you all ready know these are a long painful recover but you get through best you can.

Yeah, I've found myself being much more careful as the years go on.
In September of '19 while weed-eating I bumped my head on a low branch and fell to the ground. Somehow while falling I wrenched my right knee (which I'd had problems with for years) and couldn't straighten my leg. like you said, ego took over. The first thing I did was look around to see if any neighbors saw me LOL! I kicked out and straightened my leg, finished the trimming straight legged and went to the garage to sit and watch my knee swell up like a grapefruit. The Mrs. took me to the Dr. next day because I couldn't drive.
The Dr. said I wasn't ready for surgery or replacement yet. The Cortisone shot was the most painful thing I've ever experienced. It was a month before I could drive a car.
It's working alright now, but the Mrs. can't drive now because of back issues and one of my biggest fears is it blowing out again. Who would buy groceries and cook?
Best wishes to you and stay "careful".
Dan

Thank you all for the thoughts and well wishes. There those here who have experienced or are experiencing much worse situations than I, so I was hesitant to post about my misfortune. I hope that maybe it will help others.

Surgery will be Nov 18...

After your surgery, rest up quickly so you can help me work on my old Chebbie truck. I was under it almost all day yesterday and my ribs kept reminding me over and over....."ahem"

But seriously, rest carefully after the surgery. The older we get, the longer the rest takes.

Charles, been in the same boat since '79. Got busted up by a Mac truck. I was a real sight. Been in pain evr since to one degree or another. Had 13 broken ribs due to the accident. Any rain? I can predict it. Pain sucks, and I abhor operations on myself. Best of luck and a speedy recovery.

I now know that I've got to really slow down and pay closer attention to what's happening around me.
My heart goes out to you Charles. You're 100% correct about getting older and things hurting more. Over the years I've managed to break almost every bone in my body, had hundreds of stitches, and 11 surgeries due to my chosen "career" and 8 years of playing sports. I'm also 100% in agreement about slowing down and paying attention. I have major nerve damage in both feet and serious neuropathy pain. The only thing I feel in my feet is pain, nothing else. Couple that with a serious hearing loss, which wreaks havoc on a person's equilibrium, I find myself being overly cautious at work. Lose your balance while stumbling around a construction site in the dark could be tragic. I've had a lot of close calls and a lot of not-too-serious incidents the past couple years but it took time to realize that I REALLY need to slow down, hold on, and take my time. Best of luck to you my friend. I may come visit after the surgery and cook you a nice dinner :emoji_wink:

Robert

Sorry to read this Charles I hope the surgery goes smooth as does your recovery you already are well aware of how long it takes. As you said we are all getting older and I for one sure don't bounce back like I did when I was younger

...because, as I've found out, things hurt more, more things hurt, and things hurt longer. I've mostly been out of action lately due to a fall about 10 weeks ago that I've really struggled to get beyond. My hard head and male ego wouldn't let me go to the doctor because I was hoping things would get better, but in my heart, I knew they wouldn't. Finally decided to go to the doctor so he could tell me what I felt like I already knew...torn rotator cuff, AGAIN! Surgery has been scheduled and then the fun begins, rehab. This will be the 3rd repair on my right shoulder and 4th overall. Those of you who have been through it know just how much fun rehab is and how long it takes to return to a mostly normal life which is about a year, but I should be a lot better in maybe 3 months.

As for smoking, I can't hardly pick up anything much less open the lid on my smoker. So when I'm able to, I'll be back at it.

All of my torn rotator cuffs have been from hard falls. This one was caused by Lucy who tripped me going out the door to play. I fell from the top step which is about 4' off the ground, and landed hard on my right side and shoulder on the concrete, but I guess it could've been worse.

I now know that I've got to really slow down and pay closer attention to what's happening around me. While I'm hesitant to post about my misfortunes, I'm hopeful that others may learn from this...
Don't we just LOVE the aging process!!???

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky