Some vortex thighs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Boy you got some pretty thighs there! Love 'em naked but I'd had to sauce up a couple too.

Man you just dont know! He's sent me txt of wood piles he's burning that could be seen from space! :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:

Jim
Thanks Jim! Not gonna touch that thigh comment!
And Keith, 912smoker 912smoker I'm not sure what Jim is talking about... those fires weren't that big!

20240322_144825.jpg

20240225_181528.jpg

20240221_175546.jpg

Old cottonwood tree that fell years ago... this was fun!

20240221_180057.jpg

20240221_180745.jpg

20240221_191839.jpg

20240222_180935.jpg

And then it was gone! To be honest, I actually just went out to burn the garbage that evening... but she left me unsupervised! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Man... Perfect timing Ryan... The wife told me earlier I am doing thighs on the grill tomorrow.. Was wondering if the vorterx could be used (That question answered)... About how long did they take just to get an idea when to start?

Yummmm YUMMMM.... They look perfect... Even though I'm not a big thigh guy...

Man... Perfect timing Ryan... The wife told me earlier I am doing thighs on the grill tomorrow.. Was wondering if the vorterx could be used (That question answered)... About how long did they take just to get an idea when to start?

Yummmm YUMMMM.... They look perfect... Even though I'm not a big thigh guy...
Thank you!
Didn't really pay attention to time but I'm thinking 45 minutes and check. I turned the lid a 1/4 turn at 15 minutes and again at 30 minutes, then got a call and forgot lol.
I went back and looked at timestamps of pics... 1st Pic on grill was 7:16, so turned lid at 7:30 (no pic) then last pic on grill was 8:08 when I removed. All temped at 200, and still perfectly juicy... they were in brine for 2 days just because that's life, normally we don't brine that long.

Ryan

Reactions: DieselTech
Thanks Jim! Not gonna touch that thigh comment!
And Keith, 912smoker 912smoker I'm not sure what Jim is talking about... those fires weren't that big!

View attachment 697291

View attachment 697292

View attachment 697293

Old cottonwood tree that fell years ago... this was fun!

View attachment 697294

View attachment 697295

View attachment 697296

View attachment 697297

And then it was gone! To be honest, I actually just went out to burn the garbage that evening... but she left me unsupervised! :emoji_blush:

Ryan
Ok them is some fire pics……

I picked up two packs of what I thought were three big thighs each. When I unwrapped them I found out each pack held 6 thighs. Since I was planning on using the leftovers for chicken salad I decided to cook all 12. Towards the end of the cook I experienced the biggest mother-f'ing grease fire I'd even seen. The fire was traveling up the walls of the kettle and at least 2+ inches above. Not to mention coming out the bottom vents. Even with my longest set of tongs I had a hell of a time trying to fish them babies off the grate. Painful lesson learned the hard way.

Chris

I picked up two packs of what I thought were three big thighs each. When I unwrapped them I found out each pack held 6 thighs. Since I was planning on using the leftovers for chicken salad I decided to cook all 12. Towards the end of the cook I experienced the biggest mother-f'ing grease fire I'd even seen. The fire was traveling up the walls of the kettle and at least 2+ inches above. Not to mention coming out the bottom vents. Even with my longest set of tongs I had a hell of a time trying to fish them babies off the grate. Painful lesson learned the hard way.

Chris
Glad everything turned out OK, hopefully no burns!

Ryan

Brokenhandle Brokenhandle what kind of vortex is that?

Jim
Cast iron base to a cast waffle iron. Back when I was a newbie there were all these vortex threads... I didn't have one... so looking around for what I could use and...:emoji_bulb:. It works, but I should buy one before I break this one!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky