SOCal newB

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

richorn

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 14, 2018
Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Hi all! I've been lurking here for a bit learning what I can, as I have zero experience with smokers. Just purchased a Camp Chef SG Woodwind a couple weeks ago and have already burned through 100 pounds of pellets. The learning curve was much much faster because of this group.

I am a pro photographer with a home studio in the Los Angeles area. For the locals, it's Rancho Palos Verdes. The ocean is my backdrop! I shoot a lot of Architecture, Food, People, and Products.

My BBQ obsession began in Arizona, about 12 years ago. For a couple years, I was hired to shoot the pro bbq competitions in the Phoenix area. I would get there on Friday afternoon and spend the weekend with the teams through all the prep, cooking, judging, etc. Got to know the gang pretty quickly, and they kept me well lubricated AND well fed throughout the entire weekend. There wasn't a lot of sleep involved!! While the teams packed up on Sunday, I passed out pretty much as soon as the images were backed up!

The problem? I got used to the best BBQ in the world, and had no way to get it! I was also on the road so much back then there was no way a smoker or the time to use it would fit in my lifestyle. Those days are gone! I have reworked my business in a way that lets me be home daily, rarely on the road, with space to play.

I smoked a flat the other day, and it was the first time in 10 years I had brisket that was even close to being in the league of those pros back then... damn I am excited to begin this journey!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Welcome to the site. They're a few CC smokers on board that are more then willing to answer any questions that may arise. Since your a photographer we'll be expecting allot of pic's when you post your cooks.

Chris

Welcome to SMF!
Well if you started with a brisket & it came out good, then I'd say you have a bright future in the world of BBQ!
Al

Welcome Richard. I wish what comes out of my smoker was considered World Class Q. Alas, not the case yet. But that's part of the fun for this hobby and what you've already discovered is even when it doesn't turn out to your expectations it usually still tastes pretty darn good.

Lot's of good information and folks here with more experience than you can soak up in a lifetime of cooking. Don't be afraid to ask questions (after searching of course) and we're expecting to see lot's of professional quality food pix in the near future.

Welcome to SMF from Indiana! Can’t wait to see some professional Q views!
Most of my Q pics are going to be from the iPhone. Cooking is what I do for fun AFTER work. My best food pics are when I get paid to take them!

Attachments

• 059C953A-6111-42AD-B204-B89D62929475.jpeg
    059C953A-6111-42AD-B204-B89D62929475.jpeg
    39.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 1A8EA2CC-A4D2-4C62-9BDD-E3734580F4FA.jpeg
    1A8EA2CC-A4D2-4C62-9BDD-E3734580F4FA.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 5
  • C0632694-8C17-46C1-89F4-00440CDAB287.jpeg
    C0632694-8C17-46C1-89F4-00440CDAB287.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: SmokinLogs
Hey there from the Inland Empire. You lucky dog, you still get the ocean breeze every day. I can still recall my time living in Orange County. I guess that's fading a bit now. It's nice to have you here and I am sure that I'm not alone in saying we look forward to seeing your "professional" pics of your Q. You can give the rest of us some tips on how to capture the best images of our creations with our limited equipment. Welcome aboard.

George

Reactions: richorn
Hey there from the Inland Empire. You lucky dog, you still get the ocean breeze every day. I can still recall my time living in Orange County. I guess that's fading a bit now. It's nice to have you here and I am sure that I'm not alone in saying we look forward to seeing your "professional" pics of your Q. You can give the rest of us some tips on how to capture the best images of our creations with our limited equipment. Welcome aboard.

George
Thanks George! Man, Im gonna change all my post to beachbum as profession lol! I shoot all day and you guys want me to drag the camera back out while I’m cooking!!

My wife and I get out to Bolsa Chica beach as often as we can. It's a bit of a drive from Riverside but it always makes for a beautiful day. I do miss the daily ocean breeze. I used to live right up the road from Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm. We were about 15 minutes up Beach Blvd to the beach. The breeze every night was so awesome. Summer has taken on a whole new brutal meaning living out in Riverside. Of course, it's even worse than usual because not only is it hot but it's humid too. When did humidity become a thing in So Cal? Oh well, enjoy your Q and maybe some day we will bump into each other on the street.

George

Reactions: richorn
Summer has taken on a whole new brutal meaning living out in Riverside. Of course, it's even worse than usual because not only is it hot but it's humid too. When did humidity become a thing in So Cal? Oh well, enjoy your Q and maybe some day we will bump into each other on the street.

George
I shoot out in the desert a lot, so I swing by there a bunch. Shooting in La Quinta next week. I was in the San Fernando Valley last week and it was 117 with 70% humidity! That’s like Phoenix!!

I’ll confess, I love where I’m at now.

Attachments

• C49DD7B9-3216-458A-934F-F86C257846A5.jpeg
    C49DD7B9-3216-458A-934F-F86C257846A5.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 3
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky