So close to my holy grail ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 16, 2016
Sandusky, OH
As usual the Contest inspired me to run some (Kroger having SL cuts on sale for 4th didn't hurt either LOL). Pics etc were not in the cards however. Anyhow, my first ribs were from a chain called Damon's. Fell in love with them. Probably not KCBS level stuff but they just do it for me. Our local restaurant closed a LONG time ago and think the company basically no longer exists. Anyhow, by sheer luck one time I decided to reheat/grill some that I smoked previously and was ecstatic how the flavor improved and how it tasted similar to Damons. Fast forward to the weekend of the 4th. No idea how or why but I recalled that I went to a rib competition and another chain was there (Tony Romas) and I remembered how similar their sauce was to Damons. I google and see Tony Romas is still in business and noticed the 2nd or 3rd link was a recipe for their sauce. I later learn by reading the reviews the recipe is from a CopyCat recipe book I have. Decided to try it. It's a pretty simple sauce, more vinegary than sweet. Oh man did I miss that stuff! These are right before the sear but only pics I got. These are so close to Damon's it's crazy. SUPER HAPPY.

20230704_190556_resized.jpg

It's a good day when you can decode a favorite meal at a restaurant! Congrats! Ribs look killer!
Oh yeah it was a good day! Now and then people say the darndest things... You just blew my mind. "Decode". That's an EXCEPTIONALLY good word to describe what happened here. Is this a perfect replica, NO. Clone: nope, copy: nah, knockoff: nada... Did I decode their technique, YES!

Ribs look great!!! Man I had many a date meal at Damon's there in Sandusky back in my younger years! Great ribs and th onion loafs may have been even better than the ribs. I remember Tony Roma's too. Used to drive up to the North Olmsted area for those I think.

Reactions: zwiller
Sounds great Sam. I don't have any taste affair to search out
My wife and I have such differing tastes in ribs. I prefer intact ribs with a bit of chew. Wife lots fall of the bone simmered in tomato sauce.

Great looking ribs. I looked at the sauce recipe and sounds really good. If not for this dang low carb thing trying to get BS back to where it needs to be I would try it. Maybe down the road.

Used to love Damon’s
There had to be some serious lack of management on the upper level. Our location was ALWAYS slammed.

Ribs look great!!! Man I had many a date meal at Damon's there in Sandusky back in my younger years! Great ribs and th onion loafs may have been even better than the ribs. I remember Tony Roma's too. Used to drive up to the North Olmsted area for those I think.
THANKS. You and me both. Oh man the onion loaf... I suspect now Damons was basically a knockoff of Tony Romas. Romas had the onion loaf too. Only had Tony Romas at the Cleveland Rib Burn Off. I was like, this tastes EXACTLY like Damons. That place was once a week for us. Not sure if you ever got it but they had garlic prime rib that was the shizzle.

Sounds great Sam. I don't have any taste affair to search out
My wife and I have such differing tastes in ribs. I prefer intact ribs with a bit of chew. Wife lots fall of the bone simmered in tomato sauce.
I have a few more yet but this one kinda came out of nowhere. I guess I just thought I could never pull it off. Searing on the grill after the smoke is like 80% of it and then that tangy sauce is the final 20%. The magic is the carmelization of the sauce during the sear. Like I said, probably would not even place in KCBS but man does it hit the spot.

Great looking ribs. I looked at the sauce recipe and sounds really good. If not for this dang low carb thing trying to get BS back to where it needs to be I would try it. Maybe down the road.
Stick to the plan. The sauce is so tangy you don't really need a whole lot to get the effect. You could try searing at least. That is a big part of the flavor.

I like the vinegar type of bbq sauce also. Looks good
I would imagine this is some variation of lexington dip. In the day, NO ONE had this sort of food. Kinda like the first time eating chicken wings.

Here's the recipe I based mine on. Posting it as I see a few variants. As is, it's good but needs a little love. Once I feel it's spot on I will post my notes if guys want. You can actually buy the OG on Amazon if you want. I may splurge and do a side by side. Less than $5 if you grab the 6 pack.

https://www.food.com/recipe/tony-romas-original-barbecue-sauce-recipe-334804

Reactions: SmokingUPnorth
zwiller zwiller yep I got that prime rib plenty of times. Funny you mention prime rib. One of my other go to date night places was Mountain Jacks for prime rib and beer cheese soup. Those two and Chi Chi's rounded out my rotation lol.

zwiller zwiller yep I got that prime rib plenty of times. Funny you mention prime rib. One of my other go to date night places was Mountain Jacks for prime rib and beer cheese soup. Those two and Chi Chi's rounded out my rotation lol.
OMG Mountain Jacks and Chi Chi's! LOL We had to have crossed paths at some point. Not sure if you even went to it back then but there was a local restaurant here called Fanny Baer's known for their salad. Salad was so popular you can STILL get it at other places.

Great looking ribs. I love when I can get get close to the taste of a restaurant in my cooks.
Same here. To me, that's the bar.

Nice looking ribs Zwiller! We still have a Damon’s in the area, although it’s been years since I went in and sat down for a meal, I should go there again.

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky