Snack Stick Stall

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slevin

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
I just thought I'd pull you guys to see if this is normal. When I'm smoking my snack sticks they stall at about 130. They will sit there for an average of 4 hours before they start getting up over 137. I normally dry them for about an hour at 120 then bump it up 145 for 2 hours then 155 for 2 hours and then 165 till finish.

Is that normal? Should I expect it to take 11 hours to smoke 5 lb of snack sticks in my mes 30?

Thanks for the replies.

I smoke mine for 4-5 hours, stepping up the temp to 170 tops and then finish in the oven at 165 on convection bake to 152-5 degrees. They finish evenly that way and I’m not fooling around forever to make some stix.

I have an MES 30 & the temps are way off from what it shows... MES are notorious for being off temp for the most part. Are you going by the temp controller on the MES to rely on your temp? If so, DONT! Get yourself a dual probe therm like a Maverik! One probe to check chamber temp & one to check IT of the sticks! I'm thinkin your temp is off on your MES!

Also, you can bump the temp up to round 175-180* to finish them off!

Last edited:
I have an MES 30 & the temps are way off from what it shows... MES are notorious for being off temp for the most part. Are you going by the temp controller on the MES to rely on your temp? If so, DONT! Get yourself a dual probe therm like a Maverik! One probe to check chamber temp & one to check IT of the sticks! I'm thinkin your temp is off on your MES!

Also, you can bump the temp up to round 175-180* to finish them off!
I don't use the mes I have a maverick 377 duel probe. (I think that's the right model). It's sometimes weird it seems like the it will go up and down during the process. Only a degree or two.

I'm sure i'm a bad boy for doing what I do but after an hour or so with no IT change I power through the stall by turning up the heat. I might hit 200 in the smoker but as soon as the IT starts to move I reduce the heat back down to 170 ish. I just don't have the patience to set around for 3 or 4 hours waiting on a stall.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky