smoking wings and drumsticks this afternoon, need advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Spbykatie

Original poster
May 6, 2020
I have a pile of wings and drumsticks I want to smoke. Should I start with the drumsticks and add the wings later so they don't overcook? How long for each and what temp? And, I have a WSM and a MES, which would be better?
Thanks for any and all advice!

I havent smoked drums but have done wings in my MES. I smoked the wings at 275 and finished them off on the grill for a final crisping of the skin. Think they took a cpl hours to smoke.

I’d use the wsm. With an empty water pan you can easily get it up to 325-350. Is stick the drumsticks on first but with whole wings no too much earlier. Conversely, you can fill the water pan and put the wings to the center and drum on the perimeter. When they get close, remove the pan and crisp your skin.

So I tried the cornstarch idea from another thread on here. I don't know what I did wrong, but we ended up eating pizza last night! From now on I'm not coating my chicken before smoking.

Yeah I dont think corn starch and smoking works very well. Sorry to hear about the wongs though

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky