smoking turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
One other question for everyone.  Since this will be a practice run and my first smoked turkey, I thought I might try a few different things on the same turkey just to see what we prefer.  I plan on spatching it and I would like to try a different rub on each side of the turkey and maybe inject one side and not the other.  Has anyone done this, or is there any reason why I shouldn't try this?  Should I actually cut the turkey in half to do this?

I tried different rubs on a recent smoke of two tri-tips and found that I could taste very little difference between the two pieces of meat, each coated with a different rub and then cooked at the same time in the same smoker.

Here is my post on the subject:

Here's the rub: tale of two tri-tips

I'll be really interested to hear the results of your using different rubs on turkey. I'm betting that, like my experience, there will be very little difference, but you never know until you try it yourself.

I have done a few birds with different rubs. I found that if the rubs are completely different then you can tell a difference. Awhile back I found a rub on amazingrib called the Simon and Garfunkel rub. My wife loves it. Whenever I do birds (grilled or smoked) I have to have that on some of it. It's a lot different than your normal rubs IMO. I have adjusted it for our taste just slightly.
Me, I like more "aggressive" flavors so when I do poultry I use rubs similar to beef/pork rubs. More pepper, mustard, onion, garlic in them. Totally different than the S&G rub.

I just smoked a 14 lb bird last weekend. Spatchcocked, brined and injected. I make the start of the gravy with the cut-offs from spatchcocking. I also cut off part of the wings and throw that in the pot with celery, onions and seasonings, cover with water and cook for 3-4 hours. While the turkey brines overnight, the gravy goes in the fridge so I can separate the fat. I re-melt the fat with some of the now gelatinized gravy and use that for my injection right before throwing it in the smoker. 3 hours at 275 and to an IT of 150-155 in the breast and let it rest for a 1/2 hour to finish up.

Thanks, everyone, for your input.  I plan on doing one side with a SPOG rub and the other with a spicier or hotter rub.  I don't plan to brine it, but I may inject one side of it to see how that makes a difference.  I had said I would use apple wood for the smoke, but I may use a mixture of apple and pecan for it. 

I smoked the turkey I had this past weekend, which was between 10 1/2 and 11 pounds.  As this was my first time I didn't brine or inject it, I just rubbed it with a SPOG rub on one side and a spicier poultry rub on the other.  I also put some butter under the skin on 1 side.  I smoked it on my Weber kettle with charcoal, and used a mix of apple and pecan wood.  The cooking temp was about 300 most of the time and it took a little over 2 hours to get to an IT of 165 and then it rested for 1/2 an hour or so before tasting.  The skin was not quite as crispy as I wanted but the meat was nice and moist and the smoke flavor was great.  I couldn't tell much of a difference in flavor between the 2 sides, but I didn't put much rub between the skin and meat either.  The family liked the turkey which is always a plus.  I think I will try brining or injecting next time now that I have a baseline for what smoked turkey tastes like.  

Last edited:
Looking to do a practice run as well either this or next weekend. Will look into spatchcocking as well. I guess my only question at the moment is choice of wood and then to brine or not. I'm new to smoking and have only used hickory and haven't done poultry in the smoker yet either.

I just rubbed it with a SPOG rub on one side and a spicier poultry rub on the other ...  I couldn't tell much of a difference in flavor between the 2 sides, but I didn't put much rub between the skin and meat either.  The family liked the turkey which is always a plus.
Thanks for that update on the difference between the two rubs not being remarkably different. That mirrors what I found on my tri-tip.

Aight, so i forgot turkeys are sold frozen, is cold water thawing a quick and safe way to thaw it, and now doing so i wont be abke to brine and strictly inject.

Suggestions?

Yes. If you thaw in cold water and replace the cold water every half hour and flip the bird every time you do.

Yes. If you thaw in cold water and replace the cold water every half hour and flip the bird every time you do.
I thawed my test turkey in the bathtub a few days ago, this worked great as I did not need to change out the water, I just filled the tub up.  I pulled it out of the water at about 5-6 hours, then set it for a brine in a bucket that originally held cake icing that I got from the bakery in my local grocery store. It was a 13lb. bird in brine for about 20 hours. I also injected after I pulled it from the brine. I rinsed it really well after the brine to avoid an overly salty taste

Last edited:
I brine my turkeys, too, usually for 2 days.  I don't inject but make sure you wash it thoroughly.  I like apple and hickory and I do mine at 225-230ish range.  For a 10-12 pound bird, you're looking at about 8 hours.

Here's a pic with my dad.

Bacon Wrapped.  I thought it would infuse some bacon flavor.  It didn't.  But it was the MOISTEST bird I've ever smoked.

Hi, this bird looks absolutely perfect in my option. I am attempting my first smoked turkey this year. I will be using a digital electric smoker and a 12-lb farm raised (no infusions) bird. Can you please tell me step by step how to do it?

I bought a Nature's promise turkey and it saysContains up to 6% absorbed water.  does that mean it's already brined?  It doesn't say anything about salt

Is there a "rule of thumb" as to hours per pound at 300 degrees for these birds? or do most just gauge by IT? smoking another bird for my office potluck...just want to figure out how early i need to have it rolling to be ready for a 1pm eat time.

You don't need to brine and inject. Either by its self will give a moist result. 300 degrees or so will give you a nice crispy skin. #10- #12 will take about 3.5 - 5 hours. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky