Smoking the bacon tomorrow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That looks outstanding gonna be some good eating 
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

FFT,

Looks like you're set for awhile with some outstanding Bacon!

I have one question-----Did the freezing help much?

I notice some of the pieces have the yellow flap on them. The part that folds under the slicing table while slicing. I got the same thing on my one Bacon batch that I took out at a low temp (still very soft). I'm planning to partially freeze my next batch before slicing, but wondering how much to freeze it, and if it eliminates that problem. I don't get that when I slice something more solid, like Pepperoni.

Thanks,

Bear

FFT,

Looks like you're set for awhile with some outstanding Bacon!

I have one question-----Did the freezing help much?

I notice some of the pieces have the yellow flap on them. The part that folds under the slicing table while slicing. I got the same thing on my one Bacon batch that I took out at a low temp (still very soft). I'm planning to partially freeze my next batch before slicing, but wondering how much to freeze it, and if it eliminates that problem. I don't get that when I slice something more solid, like Pepperoni.

Thanks,

Bear
yea the freezing made a world of difference. about 3/4 through every slab I would flip it over to cut it off. But yes freezing is definitely the way to go. I should've actually froze it just a little harder. If I had froze it for another 20 minutes and actually cut the slabs down to size, it would have sliced everything perfectly. It was only when I tried to cut the whole slab that caused some screw ups because I had to keep messing with the meat to make it cut because it was too long

actually I just looked at it and I see the pic thats showing it bad.That was actually before I froze it that did that. Once I froze it, that wasn't a problem. like I said about 3/4 through a slab I'd flip it and cut off the little fat tab left and then keep on slicing. none of the semi frozen pieces had any left on the slices

Last edited:
Thanks FFT,

Sounds like in the freezer for 75 to 90 minutes ("hour or so plus 20 minutes").

I just picked up 11 Lb 6 oz this morning. Put in cure at 10 AM. Should be smoking next Sunday. Gonna smoke it strictly with A-MAZE-N-SMOKER, so it will be low in temp when I take it out. I never did one that low, but I didn't have my favorite little gadget back then.

Thanks again,

Bear

yea, I kept mine around 80-90 for about 6 hours then around 125 or so for 2 hours just to darken it up just a little. I was trying to rush it a lil because I had to be somewhere later. But it turned out perfect so I'll stick with that method.

And yea I'd say around 1-2 hours in the deep freeze and then slice. It got really firm, but it wouldn't have hurt to let it go a little longer. I'd let it go till its almost frozen

Last edited:
I like about 6 1/2 hours of smoke too.  Seems the nice mahogany color really come out in the last couple hours.

Todd

yea, I kept mine around 80-90 for about 6 hours then around 125 or so for 2 hours just to darken it up just a little. I was trying to rush it a lil because I had to be somewhere later. But it turned out perfect so I'll stick with that method.

And yea I'd say around 1-2 hours in the deep freeze and then slice. It got really firm, but it wouldn't have hurt to let it go a little longer. I'd let it go till its almost frozen
Thanks FFT,

Perfect?

LOL, I'm going to try low & slow with a lot of smoke, because I'm searching for better than perfect.

I've pulled my Bacons out at 4 different internal temps---They have all been perfect. I'm starting to think no matter how we do homemade Bacon, they are always "perfect". Maybe I just love Bacon so much, it doesn't matter. Kinda like when I was a kid---All girls were perfect!

Just sayin',

Bear

Thanks FFT,

Perfect?

LOL, I'm going to try low & slow with a lot of smoke, because I'm searching for better than perfect.

I've pulled my Bacons out at 4 different internal temps---They have all been perfect. I'm starting to think no matter how we do homemade Bacon, they are always "perfect". Maybe I just love Bacon so much, it doesn't matter. Kinda like when I was a kid---All girls were perfect!

Just sayin',

Bear
LOL yea. But with the cold smoke, the temp doesn't matter. you smoking for flavor not "doneness". mine is heavily smoked with hickory. should be really good

OMG I'M IN BACON HEAVEN!!!  That looks too good im in awe lol and Myths pic is GREAT too hhaha I want that bacon wallet

OH My......I've got some bacon curing in he refrigerator right now....I will refer to this post when its Smoke time for me. 

I hope my first bacon comes out half as good as yours FFTWarren...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky