Smoking in Afghanistan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rj2316

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 27, 2008
Dallas, OR
I've been deployed in Afghanistan for about six months now and while I was home on leave I had the chance to BBQ.  Now I'm going to do it here.  I sent all of my tools and spices that I could fit into a box (it really took two), I've got a smoker being modified to work, and a supply of what my interpreter assures me is hard wood.  I've got one brisket and a few racks of spares.  This will be a question that I'm not sure anyone will be able to answer, but if anyone can answer it, it's on this forum.  Y'all haven't failed me yet and I don't think you will now.  I'm good on the brisket and ribs, but I'm going to smoke some goat.  Talking to my interpreter (he is from Afghanistan), he thinks the leg would have the most fat on it and be the best part to smoke.  I think he is probably right as I have seen the goats here...they are tiny.  And now the questions.  Has anyone smoked goat before?  What is the best cut to smoke?  Cook it like beef?  I am smoking the goat for our interpreters, because they are Muslim and can't eat pork or food that has not been slaughtered according to their religion.  Also, do any of you know an effective and cheap way to send meat out here?  Thanks for all of the help and all of your support!

First Thank You for your service. We have a few members that smoke goat and I'm sure they will be by to give you some advice on it

I haven't smoked goat but have smoked a bunch of lamb. I like to use rosemary and some garlic and black pepper and take it to 145 med rare. Thank you for your service. 
usa.gif

Another thank you to you, your buddies and all of your families for your service and sacrifice.  We truly appreciate you and all you do for us.

I haven't smoked goat yet, but it is on my to do list.  When I do, I will treat it much like lamb.  The front leg or chuck portion will have more fat.  The rear leg or round portion will be more lean.  Also as with any animal, the less used muscles in the loin area will be more tender.  As with lamb, I would strongly recommend getting a young animal if you can.

Let us know how it goes.

Good luck and good smoking.

PM me your Addy, and I'll send you a NEW A-MAZE-N-PELLET SMOKER and a load of pellets!

This will generate your smoke, and all you have to worry about is the heat.

Freebie My Friend!

Todd

Last edited:
Reactions: theory and kphayes
Thank You for your service for our country !!!!!!!  You better ask them how they want it spiced up and its just like venison..and of course the backstrap would be the best piece and the hind leg would be the next best piece.If you cook it right its all good...My taste would be to smoke it at 235 to 250 to an IT of around 170. Be very careful eating goat over there I can tell you some real bad stories.

Last edited:
PM me your Addy, and I'll send you a NEW A-MAZE-N-PELLET SMOKER and a load of pellets!

Freebie My Friend!

Todd
Way to go Todd!  I'm in to help rj2316 get some meat to smoke, if that's even possible. If anyone has any knowledge or experience with this, let me know.  Shipping time could be a problem, even if it's frozen and dry iced. Also, I'm sure someone here knows something about how to cook Cabrita. I think that's goat isn't it?

Thank you all for the help.  Outside of getting legs, it could be interesting getting other cuts of the goat due to language barriers, but we'll get it figured out.  The other meat that we got was sent from a S. Korea Army base packed in dry ice.  I think it took about 5 days from Korea, but I know that right now packages are taking about 7-10 days to get here from the states.  I'm going to keep doing some research on an effective method.  Thanks again everyone.

rj2316 morning.....Thank you for your service.......

If you need some garlic for your projects I would be more than pleased to ship you some.....PM your address........

Garlic should be good with goat or camel etc......Dave

ccf94a2e_2garlicpeeled.jpg

Keep us posted on what you can find out about shipping meat packed in dry ice to Afganistan. I don't know if 7-10 days is too long or not. I know that I've had meat and seafood shipped in those sturdy well insulated styrofoam containers packed in dry ice that made it to me in just a few days (2-3) that arrived frozen hard as a brick. Thank you for your service. It would be an honor to be able to show my gratitude in some small way 

Bump This Up!

Anyone have some extra spices and/or rubs?

Keep-in-mind, that a USPS Large Flat Rate Box costs $12.20 to send to a APO or FPO address!!!

Todd

RJ,,

First and foremost....Thank You  young man Secondly and MORE important,,,, COME HOME SAFE....  I can speak as a Father that has a Son in the Army preparing to be sent "somewhere" We Thank you for your time and service and wish you the best....

Todd,

That was a awesome!! Hell of a way to do business.. If only the Government would take your example....

Reactions: kphayes
rj2316 if you will PM me your address I will send you some cajun spicies....and by the way thank all the guys in your company for there service also !!!!!

Thanks for all you and all troops do...we will be watching to see how it all turns out.....  And YOU ALL ON HERE AMAZE me , reading this gave me shivers and so dam proud to call myself an American..
usa.gif
. YOU ALL ROCK   
2thumbs.gif

Reactions: kphayes
Bump This Up!

Anyone have some extra spices and/or rubs?

Keep-in-mind, that a USPS Large Flat Rate Box costs $12.20 to send to a APO or FPO address!!!

Todd
rj2316 thank you for your service.

I'm in and willing to help with meat, spices or anything else.  Someone get me that address and what you need RJ and I will make sure you get a package.  I can get spices from Sam's and send over.

Greg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky