Smoking frozen meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DustyJoe84

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 15, 2018
Kansas City
My local grocery store has butts on sale for $.99/lb. I'm wanting to stock up, but I'm not sure when my next opportunity to smoke will be. If I leave them in their cryovac packages and freeze them, is there any trouble or anything I should be aware of when smoking them later, provided they are fully thawed when I do so?

Shouldn’t be any problems with them for 8-9 months. Then they will start getting rancid. More an more as time goes on. Stock up!

I buy several at a time when they are on sale like that too and freeze them. Never had a problem cooking them they always turn out great

I do it all the time, a couple in freezer right now

Gary

Butts, briskets and turkeys are basically the only meats I'll stock up on when they go on sale. No problems with future smokes.

Chris

In the cryo vac they last a long time . Hope that sale is coming this way .

To clarify...6-9 months is the Refrigerator Freezer. Couple of years in a -20°F Deep Freezer that is infrequently opened...JJ

almost all of your freezers at home are designed to run at 0,vacuum packed items can last longer than than the correct time frame that chefjimmyj stated.too many times I see over loaded freezers and most of the stuff is well out of date and not useable,folks don't understand it has a shelf life that's dependent on how it was packaged and the temps its held at.a chest freezer will give you about 3 more months or so than a uprite with self defrost and possibly longer.I work on fridge and freezers for a living and see a lot stuff related to food storage

To clarify...6-9 months is the Refrigerator Freezer. Couple of years in a -20°F Deep Freezer that is infrequently opened...JJ

I didn't know that JJ. I have stuff in my freezer that is running at -10 degrees, and some of it has been in there for a couple of years. I use it all the time. There is no freezer burn & the stuff tastes like it was fresh. As a matter of fact I have a pork belly that has been in there 1 1/2 years & I just took it out to have a look at it & it looks just fine. What is the danger in leaving it in there over 9 months? I acquired 3 Berkshire bellies & I've made bacon with 2 of them, but we don't eat a lot of bacon & this belly probably won't be cured for another 6 months. So it will have been frozen about 2 years when I cure it.
Al

The first ham I cured was a 2 1/2 year old pork picnic . Had a bit of fat that I trimmed , but came out great . Had that one in the deep freeze . I need to dig down to the bottom ,, see what else is in there .

Al, even -10°F is fine in a little used freezer. Most home refrigerator Freezers are set higher to keep Ice Cream treats frozen but ready to eat. My new 20 cubic ft deep freeze at -20, has a Ice Cream storage compartment set at 0°F.
The biggest problem with Frig/Freezers is folks are in and out of then many times a day. The fluctuation in temp, even a couple of degrees and the more frequent running of the defrost cycle, causes the food to deteriorate faster than a dedicated deep freezer. You Sir are more fortunate as you have No Kids staring in the Freezer taking forever to decide on Ice Cream or Hot Pockets!...JJ

Sounds like I should be good. I have the butts freezing in a 5 cubic foot chest freezer that we open up maybe twice a week or so. We bought half a cow about a year ago and are almost out of beef now. Have a few pounds of ground and a couple roasts left. It's all tasting fine to us! Freezer is looking empty so needing/wanting to fill it up again. Thanks everyone for your insight!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky