Smoking a turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeypig6269

Original poster
Apr 1, 2017
So tomorrow I will be starting a turkey bright and early, I have brined it for a little over 24 hours in a wet brine, using water, salt, minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, and ground pepper. It'll be the first time I've tried this brine so hoping for good results I also plan on injecting just using a Scheels bought creole butter injection/rub. For wood I'll be using chips It'll have a mix of apple wood and pecan also a new for me, but a fellow smoker suggested it so there'll either be a great looking and tasting bird tomorrow or alot of lessons learned. I currently use a homemade refridgerator turned electric smoker with a 110v heating element. I plan on smoking around 200 to 240 degrees and using a drip pan with just a small amount of water. I am a novice smoker so if someone notices some kind of mistake feel free to chime in and stop me in the process I'm all for constructive criticism. Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Sounds like you are on the right track. May sure you rinse your brined bird well before injecting and putting it in the smoker. Pecan or apple or pecan and apple are good choices too.

Good luck!

Reactions: smokeypig6269
Thanks yeah I bumped it up but unfortunately I think my element is on its way out, I struggled to get 200 degrees and as I was getting too close for comfort with the 4 hour mark I had to embarrassingly enough put it in the oven

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky