Smokin-it 3DW

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Congrats! If I was buying an electric and wanted to drop the money I believe that would be the one I would get :D

Congrats! You are going to love it!

Loving my 3 (analog)!! … just did some CSRs and meatballs w/cherry wood yesterday.
Missed brief cold weather window to do some cheese (will be my first time), but that’s next when it cools off again … (though this is so tight will be interesting to see if the tray/dust stays lit).

And old sarge old sarge I think you are right … built like the proverbial tank.

Congrats! You are going to love it!

Loving my 3 (analog)!! … just did some CSRs and meatballs w/cherry wood yesterday.
Missed brief cold weather window to do some cheese (will be my first time), but that’s next when it cools off again … (though this is so tight will be interesting to see if the tray/dust stays lit).

And old sarge old sarge I think you are right … built like the proverbial tank.

For cold smoking you might want to try one of these.

For cold smoking you might want to try one of these.

Yes, was eying the Bella since I bought this, but a couple things I didn’t/don’t like. Originally it sounded like you had to get a pre drilled replacement door to which it mounts, but DIY on the side looks fine. They have replaced the bottom cover Phillips screws with knurled thumbscrews, and supply a cleaning brush, both a bit nicer to empty and clean hopper.
BUT the cover won’t fit (necessary on my uncovered patio) and having to remove the unit each time a bit of a pain and wonder about longevity of sheet metal screws in and out of the cabinet wall holes. Guess could go to next size up if the holes get wallowed out in time, and/or find a different cover.

Going to try the tray, removing the wood fire box, place tray near drain hole, and maybe get an aquarium air pump to enhance the natural draft/airflow. We shall see …

I would replace the screws with SS nuts and bolts and keyway the mount bracket so that it can be slid over and down on the bolts for convenient mounting and removal. That way you should be able to use the same cover.

I've got a 3 and 4, both have been great smokers. The main reason I got a 4 after having my 3 for a couple years was the additional internal height of the 4. The approx 18" additional height allows me to do full hams and long sausages.

I am looking at a 3 or 4 in these smokers. However I don't like these types of cold smoke generators. A while back I switched up my Amazin tray set up for a Smokai and it just plain and simple generated to much smoke and made the food "dirty"....so I went back to the Amazin tray. I would assume their cold smoker or the smoke daddy would be the same and give too much smoke. I suppose I could modify the existing prep in the side for a remote smoke box set up. Sorry for the long post!

Did you view the video above old sarge old sarge posted? I think the Gen2 Bella with variable speed air pump should be manageable.

There is a video on the smokin-it website in the description of the Bella smoke generator comparing the smoke daddy and Bella. Yes, you will get smoke but can dial it back from heavy to light. There are folks with the smokin-it smokers who do use the the amaze-n type device with success. The smokers themselves do a fine job of smoking meats without any auxiliary device but for cold smoking, you would want something that produces little to no heat. The "dirty" you refer to I liken to creosote. Too thin and smoke flavor may be too light and too heavy produces bitterness. Here is a link discussing smoke:

Reactions: thebigman65
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky