Smokin Butts in a Weber

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

planeguy

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 5, 2009
Long Island, NY
I have never attempted pulled pork and want to do it for my sons first birthday next month (never to early to start them on que!). I was going to give it a trial run this Saturday on my Weber.

I have seen many posts on pulled pork but none on smoking it on the Weber Kettle. I have done ribs, chicken, turkey and plenty of sides with much success using the Weber.

Any tips on smoking a butt on the Weber?

Thanks

I've never used the weber but it should be the same as the others just alot longer smoke with more charcoal and wood needing to be added. Don't forget the Qview

Butt needs lots of time. You'll want to not be opening the kettle any more than necessary for fire maintenance.

Someone on this site posted pics of a coal ring made from expanded steel. You'd put the butt in the center, and the fire would burn around the perimeter so it's never really direct heat - and it burns a couple hours before you need to tend it.

I have the smokenator 1000 in my Weber and I can about 5 hours of burn time and hold 240 with out having to really mess with it. I also have a hinged grate so I dont have to move the grate over to add coals

One way you could save time would be to smoke your butt to an internal temp of 165, foil and then into the oven at 250 until the internal temp is 195-200 then wrap in towels and place in a cooler with towels to rest. It should fall apart at that point. If your maintaining 240 temp then your looking at about 6 hrs or so to hit 165 (all butts are different though). Hope this helps.

Is the smokenator worth it?

I just did a butt with my smokenator 2 weeks ago. It was a very easy smoke. I started with 48 cold, and 12 lit coals. I added something like 8 coals after 4 hrs, and again 2 hrs later for good measure. I added the coals for good measure. I didn't want to push it too much and mess up my cook times. Like everything else using the smokenator, it was fantastic.

You sound like you know your grill, and smokenator, so I can't think of much by way of advice.........

With your smokenator it should be easy. Maintaining your temps is the hardest part. I now have the MES but used to smoke everything on a Weber kettle. I didn't have the smokenator, I created my own divider that allowed me to feed charcoal through the hinged grated it worked ok, but I'm sure the smokenator gives you more control.

A couple of tips
• Inject the Pork Shoulder, just plain apple juice is ok, depending on how fine the needle is in the injector you can add spices if the needle can handle it.
This will keep the inside meat nice and tender and add a sweet flavor to the meat.
• I like to buy Pork Butt/shoulder with blade, bone = flavor. You never see it, but I like to tie my Pork shoulder with butchers twine same as a roast. Why?
In my weber kettle controlling heat was an up/down thing, and you have to be able to turn the pork, to prevent over cooking on one side. I often would do two big butts and wouldn't have room for a roast rack, so the Pork Shoulders would be sitting on the Weber grate. When it came time for turning I never had to worry about the tender meat falling apart, thanks to tying. I also believe the meat is finished more evenly when tied.
• Use a digital remote probe thermometer to monitor weber heat and internal temp of meat. I used a wood cork in one of the lid exhaust vents with a small hole drilled thru the cork for the thermometer (that one was a dial type with 7" probe for kettle temp.
• After first 2 hours spritz or mop with your fav mop liquid once every hour, again just plain apple juice is good. Try to do your charcoal/wood chip adjustments at same time to keep lid opening to a minimum.
• If you finish the pork long before it will be eaten, don't shred it until right before your are ready to warm and serve. Just leave it double wrapped in foil those juices will be there.

Got an email from Don and he is starting a Smokenator forum....for questions and such.

Thanks for the tips - I am going to smoke a butt tomorrow. I am doing a boneless pork butt about 5lbs with my Cinnamon Chipolte Rub.

Qview will be posted tomorrow pending any disasters.

I am interested as well - I have the Weber Kettle, and I am thinking about getting the Smokenator. Looking forward to reading everyone's posts on using this device!!!

Hope the butts turned out good

Hey Planeguy. I've done quite a bit of smoking on my Weber Kettle. Recently I've been using a Weber Smoky Mountain. I was always positive that because I was turning out such great q off the Kettle I'd never leave it. But the WSM is soooo much easier.

I've never used a smokenator but they look pretty cool. I may try and get one someday and start using the kettle again for smaller cooks.

One thing that's fortunate is that a pork butt is a pretty forgiving piece of meat. So well suited for a kettle since riding temps has always been my biggest challenge on it.

Here's a link to a time I did 2 butts at the same time on the Kettle.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=74644

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky