Smoked striper/deep fried walleye

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gadgetman

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 19, 2024
Since I started smoking striper fillets it's about the only way I'll cook it. Haven't bought fish but a few times in my life. Have always been fortunate to cook what I catch,and then some.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230527_194239_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20230527_194239_Video Player.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 20211204_172509.jpg
    20211204_172509.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 36
Now that Walleye looks great. One of the things I miss about Michigan. I love catching Stripers but never really care to much to eat them. I might like them smoked though.

Interesting. I've eaten a lot of striper in my day but never smoked them. Between the Chesapeake bay and the ocean I once was a striper catchin' fool. Care to share your process? Now fried walleye is just awesome...

Reactions: Gadgetman
Now that Walleye looks great. One of the things I miss about Michigan. I love catching Stripers but never really care to much to eat them. I might like them smoked though.
Being from Texoma you aught to try smoking striper. This was a good size for that. A fillet off a 10-15 lber. Leave the skin and scales on it. Baste with melted butter and lemon juice. Season with SPG,baste again about 3/4 of the way though @ 225°.
The skin curls a lil acting like a bowl,holding the juices. The flakes are very moist.

Interesting. I've eaten a lot of striper in my day but never smoked them. Between the Chesapeake bay and the ocean I once was a striper catchin' fool. Care to share your process? Now fried walleye is just awesome...
Just replied to Brian from Texoma with that

Being from Texoma you aught to try smoking striper. This was a good size for that. A fillet off a 10-15 lber. Leave the skin and scales on it. Baste with melted butter and lemon juice. Season with SPG,baste again about 3/4 of the way though @ 225°.
The skin curls a lil acting like a bowl,holding the juices. The flakes are very moist.
I might add that when the milky looking juice comes to the surface it's probably done. You can see it in the photo.

I'll pick up crankybuzzard crankybuzzard on the way with my cane pole in the back of the truck to get a plate of that great looking fish!

Jim

I'm always up for a road trip to go fishing!

I'll buy the gas and snacks!

You guys make a small detour of maybe 3 days travel ( not that big of a deal ) and I'm in for the road trip, LOL
I guess I would pay for the border costs if any , as long as you guys aren't carrying, ha ha
Love a good fishing trip

David

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky