Smoked/sous vide summer sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crazymoon

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 24, 2014
Great North Woods, NH
Another batch of Thuringer with jalapenos was on the agenda,
here's the farce after a day in the fridge. P&S Seasoning plus one jar of Mt Olive diced jalapenos and one cup of powdered buttermilk for "tang". Double ground through a 1/4 inch plate.
IMG_0905.jpg

Here are my favorite tools for stuffing.A tape measure to make sure your sticks fit in the smoker and sous vide container.A sausage pricker for air pockets, spring loaded hog ring pliers,one stuffing tube pusher to get all the meat out and a pre- tied loop for hanging my sausage.
IMG_0907.jpg

My 61mm x 24 fibrous casings are soaking in warm water for 30 minutes with another bowl of luke warm water on top to hold the casings submerged.
IMG_0904.jpg

Into the smoker at 120 * for a 1.5 hour dry and then added hickory chips for 3 hours at 150*
IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

I vac sealed each stick and put in my sous vide container at 140* for a little over 4 hours. This is Baldwin's time for the size/temp plus one hour.
IMG_0914.jpg

I love this method because I have a set time when my sausage will be done. I have my great smoke flavor with a consistent product everytime ! I let the sausage cool by hanging in my cellar for 3-4 hours before putting it in the fridge overnight. I cut it up/vac sealed this AM for some great hunting camp snacks. Thanks for looking . CM
IMG_0916.jpg

Those look great!

What size rings do you use?
I have a cheap pliers that is a POS. Just use string now.
But, I've been eying up this auto-feed one with 1/2" rings --> Weston Pliers

Reactions: crazymoon
Wow CM you can't be more than 2 to 3 hours away. I'll be right over for my chub. Looks and sounds fantastic.

Point for sure
Chris
and congrats on the feature.

I love seeing sous vide used creatively. That looks fantastic.

Those look great!

What size rings do you use?
I have a cheap pliers that is a POS. Just use string now.
But, I've been eying up this auto-feed one with 1/2" rings --> Weston Pliers
02EB, I like these pliers , they only hold one ring( 1/2 Inch) but they were fairly cheap compared to the auto feed jobbies. I like rings over string and I double ring both ends . LOL they are cheap !

Reactions: 02ebz06
I like your coleman stacker ice chest set up. I have the same.....works awesome!
IDS, I got that set-up idea from this site many years ago. I can't remember which member posted it but they even told all of us what size hole saw was needed. This site is so full of great info !

Reactions: DougE and indaswamp
Thanks for posting and reminding me to get my SV out to finish the sausage! Yours looks delicious!
UE, I do 40-50 pounds of pork or venison SS every year, going on 40 years (ya I'm old). The smoker to SV is the only way I will do it now, always get a perfect product.

Looks crazy good to me CM! And love that color of them hanging in smoker.

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky