Smoked Smashed Potatoes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buzzy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 11, 2007
Cumberland Co. PA
What you need
1.5 lbs mini or petite potatoes or more if needed. You can even get different ones like red, yellow, or white. Mixing them.
1 qt. chicken broth
EVOO
A mason jar or glass for smashing
9B192312-23CA-4FA3-B2E6-2931EBA3EE7E.jpeg

Put potatoes in pan. Then add chicken broth & enough water to cover. Turn burner on high. When it starts to boil time for 15-20 minutes. Check at 15 to see if soft yet.
85A4940C-06E7-4F0A-B386-CF875B140660.jpeg

When done drain an let cool for 15 minutes. If you do them when hot they will fall apart.
A3A9ED4B-9A50-4C81-95E7-AF346F49EFDC.jpeg

Then take your smasher an smash them down. You might mess the first couple up but will get the feel of it after a couple. My potatoes are bigger than I like but it’s what I could get.
944834E0-7A0D-4A5F-AC1F-0BB8BE74653F.jpeg

Put on rack or grate. You’ll want to put cookie sheet under it to make clean up easier. Then brush with a good amount of EVOO. Sprinkle with kosher salt & course pepper.
DD85A5C8-5C1A-487A-BC32-018315838121.jpeg

Put in smoker at 220-230 for 2 hrs. Run smoke the whole time. Already had smoker going with a ham loaf & hunk of deer for fajitas.
C8A00933-CC06-4CE0-BBEC-B05D4EEA4A63.jpeg

Sorry no plated shot but having them tomorrow night with cold ham loaf sandwich. Had a few spuds left over that wouldn’t fit on rack so just threw them in whole for potatoes & egg breakfast in the morning.
9B7B633A-88ED-4252-A10E-3AA6CCDF3450.jpeg

I like them a little crunchy around the edges.
Thanks for looking.

Those look good! Think reheating them on the Blackstone would work great and add a little more crunch...damn, now I have a craving! Nice job!

Ryan

Reactions: mr.twister
What you need
1.5 lbs mini or petite potatoes or more if needed. You can even get different ones like red, yellow, or white. Mixing them.
1 qt. chicken broth
EVOO
A mason jar or glass for smashing
View attachment 627644
Put potatoes in pan. Then add chicken broth & enough water to cover. Turn burner on high. When it starts to boil time for 15-20 minutes. Check at 15 to see if soft yet.
View attachment 627645
When done drain an let cool for 15 minutes. If you do them when hot they will fall apart.
View attachment 627646
Then take your smasher an smash them down. You might mess the first couple up but will get the feel of it after a couple. My potatoes are bigger than I like but it’s what I could get.
View attachment 627648
Put on rack or grate. You’ll want to put cookie sheet under it to make clean up easier. Then brush with a good amount of EVOO. Sprinkle with kosher salt & course pepper.
View attachment 627649
Put in smoker at 220-230 for 2 hrs. Run smoke the whole time. Already had smoker going with a ham loaf & hunk of deer for fajitas. View attachment 627650
Sorry no plated shot but having them tomorrow night with cold ham loaf sandwich. Had a few spuds left over that wouldn’t fit on rack so just threw them in whole for potatoes & egg breakfast in the morning.
View attachment 627654
I like them a little crunchy around the edges.
Thanks for looking.
Those look great, definitely finish them on the Blackstone, nice and crunchy around the edges.

Looks like a winner. How much does the chix stock get into the taters for flavor?

Thanks buzzy buzzy for sharing this with us, looks really good. Great write-up and pics also.
I'm going to be doing a meatloaf soon and this will go great with it. Thanks again.

Definitely on the todo list. Next time I fire up the Votex I'll be putting this on. Thanks for posting.

Point for sure
Chris

Those look good! Think reheating them on the Blackstone would work great and add a little more crunch...damn, now I have a craving! Nice job!

Ryan
Thanks! These would even be good on blackstone without smoking if wanted.
Holy crap Im trying that this weekend. Well done.
Thanks!
Well, this just got added to the to do list.

Looks delicious.
Thanks! Hope list isn't getting to long.
Wow, great idea !
Thanks!
Those look great, definitely finish them on the Blackstone, nice and crunchy around the edges.
Thanks! Don't see why that wouldn't work for ya. You could even skip the smoking if wanted.
Wow, that looks excellent, I’ll have to try that out! We’re big crunchy fans too! Another reason to get a Blackstone!
Thanks! Glad to help out with needing a blackstone reasons.
Looks like a winner. How much does the chix stock get into the taters for flavor?
Thanks! It's noticeable but not outstanding. Could just use water if wanted.
Thanks buzzy buzzy for sharing this with us, looks really good. Great write-up and pics also.
I'm going to be doing a meatloaf soon and this will go great with it. Thanks again.
Thanks! Glad to be helpful were I can. They go great with meatloaf.

Definitely on the todo list. Next time I fire up the Votex I'll be putting this on. Thanks for posting.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks! Easy to make & really good eats. Glad to be helpful where I can. Very versatile can be topped like baked potato or simple like french frys or eat as is.

Fantastic!! We really like potatoes and the more different ways to prepare them, the better. I'm loving this idea. Thanks for sharing.

.damn, now I have a craving! Nice job!

I've been avoiding reading this for that exact reason. Got meals thought out for the next couple days and didn't want this to throw a monkey wrench in the works. Well, I read it and think there's gonna be some menu changes :emoji_laughing:

Robert

OMG---Those look Outstanding!!
Nice Job & Great Post !!
Like.

Bear
Thanks Bear
Those look tasty! I just may have to give it a try in the future!
Thanks! Quick & easy
Fantastic!! We really like potatoes and the more different ways to prepare them, the better. I'm loving this idea. Thanks for sharing.

I've been avoiding reading this for that exact reason. Got meals thought out for the next couple days and didn't want this to throw a monkey wrench in the works. Well, I read it and think there's gonna be some menu changes :emoji_laughing:

Robert
Thanks Robert. Don't have to change menu just add to it.
Great idea, buzzy. Gonna try these out. Don't have a Blackstone, but I figure a CI pan will crisp them up.
Gary
Thanks Gary. Mine where crispy around edges right out of smoker but after going in frig it was lost.

Those look great, and they are a great add on to most meals.

I also only do them in the smoker, and I find they get a nice crunch to the edges in the smoker, I also spray a little Pam or what ever you have helps that

Going to have to do some again soon

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky