Smoked Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken Breast Qview and Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KrisUpInSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 1, 2018
Western Pennsylvania
I had to put together something quick for a large, last minute gathering. I received lots of great ideas and advice on putting it together from you guys here. Thanks again to everyone who responded! A combination of advice from all of you made them turn out great!

113_IMG_20180713_150435_1.jpg
Cutting the chicken breasts in half. Cut in half to cut cooking time and prevent prosciutto from drying out during a longer smoke.

665_IMG_20180713_194216.jpg
Taking the IT. Six chicken pieces per pan to get smoke and cook evenly. I panned them for ease of movement, to keep prosciutto moist, and because there were 3 racks of ribs smoking below that I didn't want the chicken dripping on.

664_IMG_20180713_194230.jpg
Ready to come out of the smoker! It was very moist and tender. Prosciutto cooked well with them and was easy to cut and eat.

IMG_20180713_202951.jpg

All in one pan to serve, and one of the pieces cut in half with a bit a prosciutto strewn across it.

Here's how I put it together,

INGREDIENTS:
9 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise to make 18 pieces
14 oz. package (about 25 thin slices) prosciutto
Marinade
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp fresh chopped rosemary
8 cloves fresh minced garlic
Juice of 2 fresh lemons
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
2 tsp fresh ground Himalayan Pink Salt

DIRECTIONS:
Put all Marinade ingredients together in gallon sized Ziploc bag. Hold bag top closed and mush the outside of bag with your hand to mix together.

Rinse chicken breasts with water and dry with paper towels (or don't rinse, depending on your preference). Trim any extra fat. Cut in half lengthwise.

Put chicken in Ziploc bag with marinade. Try to squeeze out air and seal bag. Squish bag around to coat chicken with marinade. Marinate for 1 hour. (*I put marinade and chicken together about 5 hours earlier, but added the lemon juice to the marinade and chicken an hour before smoking because I did not want the chicken to break down too much from the lemon and end up with a mealy, grainy texture.)

After marinating, wrap each chicken piece with 1 to 2 slices of prosciutto, all the way around, covering the whole piece of chicken with one layer.

Lay in pan(s) without crowding. Pour excess marinade from bag over chicken.

Smoke at 225℉ for 45 minutes to an hour to an Internal Temperature of 165℉. (With so much going on, mine were smoked to an IT of around 167℉ in the fatest breasts for about an hour and 10 minutes before I got to them! People still loved them.)

I smoked with Peach, which gave the chicken a light smoked flavor because I wasn't sure how guests would respond to stronger flavors. In the future, I'd like to try the same recipe with a mix of Apple and Hickory for a more intense smoke flavor.

Thanks for looking! And, thanks again for all the help putting it together! Everyone complimented the chicken, saying it was delicious and juicy.

Kris I'll be over in a few for the left overs... ;)

Looks amazing! I might try some chicken breasts like this with my pepper back bacon when it's done just to see what happens!

Curious if you kept the juices now for gravy/sauce/other projects!

Those came out very nice, way to go, happy to see it all come out so well.
Thank you. It was your concern that I should wrap with bacon because the prosciutto might dry out, and that was what made me certain I should cut them in half to cut cook time to prevent drying out. And, I'd already bought the prosciutto...:rolleyes:. Of course, that meant less smoke time too so I'd go with stronger flavored wood next time.
Yeah ,,, they sure look good . Nice job .
Thank you very much. I'm glad it worked out since it was a new thing
Looks like i have to add another one to my list.. Great job !!

Thanks. Hope you like it!

Kris I'll be over in a few for the left overs... ;)

Looks amazing! I might try some chicken breasts like this with my pepper back bacon when it's done just to see what happens!

Curious if you kept the juices now for gravy/sauce/other projects!

Thanks! I'm waiting for the back bacon post! I bet it'll be great! Wrapping chicken breasts with it would be cool. I didn't keep the juices. There wasn't enough time to make a gravy with all the people and other food to get together, not even time to let them rest.

Man, you could reduce that sauce after straining it too.. make gravy for rice or some potatoes.. looks great!

Thank you! That is a great idea. It would make a delicious gravy. I'd definitely do that with it!

Nice job on that chicken - looks fantastic. It's always better to go light on the smoke flavor when serving it to people who haven't experienced it yet.

Point for sure.

Chris

Nice job on that chicken - looks fantastic. It's always better to go light on the smoke flavor when serving it to people who haven't experienced it yet.

Point for sure.

Chris

Thank you. I also did the ribs with Peach. People liked those a lot too. I'm making more ribs this weekend for another get together, also people with unknown smoke preferences. I'm thinking of going with Apple. It's a little stronger for the ribs. Plus, I want to get some veggies in the smoker and I'm not sure what works best with them. Maybe Apple and Peach?

Thanks for the like and the Point.

Those look absolutely fantastic!
Very nicely done & congrats on making the carousel!!!
Al

Thank you! It's really neat to be in the carousel with all the great things that are in there! :D

Looks good, Sounds like it was a tasty meal. Like, Congrats on the carousel ride.

Thanks! I'm glad it worked out!

Thank you. It was your concern that I should wrap with bacon because the prosciutto might dry out, and that was what made me certain I should cut them in half to cut cook time to prevent drying out. And, I'd already bought the prosciutto...:rolleyes:. Of course, that meant less smoke time too so I'd go with stronger flavored wood next time.

Thank you very much. I'm glad it worked out since it was a new thing

Thanks. Hope you like it!

Thanks! I'm waiting for the back bacon post! I bet it'll be great! Wrapping chicken breasts with it would be cool. I didn't keep the juices. There wasn't enough time to make a gravy with all the people and other food to get together, not even time to let them rest.

Thank you! That is a great idea. It would make a delicious gravy. I'd definitely do that with it!
I think the only way the food I make gets a proper rest is when I take it off at 1 or 2 AM. Other wise people hack it in half right away and I always get very very pissy about that. Lol.

I had to put together something quick for a large, last minute gathering. I received lots of great ideas and advice on putting it together from you guys here. Thanks again to everyone who responded! A combination of advice from all of you made them turn out great!

View attachment 371059 Cutting the chicken breasts in half. Cut in half to cut cooking time and prevent prosciutto from drying out during a longer smoke.

View attachment 371060 Taking the IT. Six chicken pieces per pan to get smoke and cook evenly. I panned them for ease of movement, to keep prosciutto moist, and because there were 3 racks of ribs smoking below that I didn't want the chicken dripping on.

View attachment 371061 Ready to come out of the smoker! It was very moist and tender. Prosciutto cooked well with them and was easy to cut and eat.

View attachment 371062
All in one pan to serve, and one of the pieces cut in half with a bit a prosciutto strewn across it.

Here's how I put it together,

INGREDIENTS:
9 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise to make 18 pieces
14 oz. package (about 25 thin slices) prosciutto
Marinade
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp fresh chopped rosemary
8 cloves fresh minced garlic
Juice of 2 fresh lemons
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
2 tsp fresh ground Himalayan Pink Salt

DIRECTIONS:
Put all Marinade ingredients together in gallon sized Ziploc bag. Hold bag top closed and mush the outside of bag with your hand to mix together.

Rinse chicken breasts with water and dry with paper towels (or don't rinse, depending on your preference). Trim any extra fat. Cut in half lengthwise.

Put chicken in Ziploc bag with marinade. Try to squeeze out air and seal bag. Squish bag around to coat chicken with marinade. Marinate for 1 hour. (*I put marinade and chicken together about 5 hours earlier, but added the lemon juice to the marinade and chicken an hour before smoking because I did not want the chicken to break down too much from the lemon and end up with a mealy, grainy texture.)

After marinating, wrap each chicken piece with 1 to 2 slices of prosciutto, all the way around, covering the whole piece of chicken with one layer.

Lay in pan(s) without crowding. Pour excess marinade from bag over chicken.

Smoke at 225℉ for 45 minutes to an hour to an Internal Temperature of 165℉. (With so much going on, mine were smoked to an IT of around 167℉ in the fatest breasts for about an hour and 10 minutes before I got to them! People still loved them.)

I smoked with Peach, which gave the chicken a light smoked flavor because I wasn't sure how guests would respond to stronger flavors. In the future, I'd like to try the same recipe with a mix of Apple and Hickory for a more intense smoke flavor.

Thanks for looking! And, thanks again for all the help putting it together! Everyone complimented the chicken, saying it was delicious and juicy.
Wow! Great looking meal. Nice work! Also congrats on the carousel.

Last edited:
How have I missed this thread? Looks fantastic Kris! The chicken hoots look great! But, now hand me a biscuit and let me at that's sauce! Point!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky