Smoked Kielbasa: First time This Weekend

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by couger78, May 28, 2011.

1. couger78

couger78 Smoking Fanatic

Time to smoke a 'cured' sausage—'polish kielbasa'— after spending the past few weekends creating piles of 'fresh' sausages for the troops. This is no small feat as the standard was set by my wife's polish grandmother year's ago. Her 'polska  wędzona kiełbasa' is what I'll try to replicate. Although the recipe is pretty basic (salt, pepper, garlic, marjoram), there are expectations to be met! [​IMG]

First, as grandma did, I cubed a portion of the lean into 1/2" cubes (about 3.5lbs):

[​IMG]

I added a third of the total cure to the cubes & refrigerated this overnight:

[​IMG]

This morning, I ground the rest of the pork (about 7.5lbs) through a 4.5mm plate:

[​IMG]

Like I said, the recipe is pretty straight-forward. Ingredients ready:

[​IMG]

Friday night, FedEx dropped off a package containing this: Kirby's solution to mixing larger quantities of sausage: The Kirby Mixer!

[​IMG]

Looking down the spindle, you can see the mixing blade:

[​IMG]

Both meats loaded (cubed & ground)— about 11 lbs total:

[​IMG]

All spices, garlic & water added:

[​IMG]

Lid snapped on, power drill attached & ready to go. I sat on a chair with my feet on the board on both sides of the bucket:

[​IMG]

This is the result after only 30-40 seconds of mixing (raising & plunging the drill as one does in mixing mortar, thinset, etc). Very thorough & well-mixed. Pretty amazing for 10+ pounds!

[​IMG]

ON TO THE STUFFING:

Nice morning to be outside, so got the kirby cannon set up for action. The lazy susan comes in very handy for long ropes.

[​IMG]

11+pounds loaded!

[​IMG]

Phase One Done: I've now two large plate-loads of fresh kielbasa. Next step is to prep the smoker. These will sit in the fridge overnight.

[​IMG]

More to come.....

Kevin

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
    meateater likes this.
  2. adiochiro3

adiochiro3 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Wow!  What an operation!  Can't wait to see it all smoked up and ready to eat!  Congrats!

3. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looks like your in the sausage making business! Nice setup!   [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  4. X2 Al...that is a sausage makers heaven right there. That mixer looks simple but very effective!! Can't wait for the finished shots...[​IMG]

5. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    Looking very nice!!

Love the mixer..I will have to get one!!

Have a great day!!

Craig

6. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Man that is some operation. Great looking sausages.

7. raptor700

raptor700 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Great job Kevin,

Those will look great with some smoke on them.

8. couger78

couger78 Smoking Fanatic

This morning I took the kielbasa from the fridge & hung them up to air-dry & come to room temp while I got the smoker prepped.

Simple wood dowel between chairs:

[​IMG]

Since my MES hasn't yet arrived, I'll be using my old weber smokey mountain (WSM) to do the smoking. This unit tends to run hot (200°) so I needed a plan of attack...

[​IMG]

I discovered that I can keep the temp in the 135-160° range by adding about a dozen briquettes. I also placed an old pizza stone above the coals to help absorb & distribute the heat:

[​IMG]

Since I'm using only a few coals, hickory wood chunks wouldn't be ideal, so I opted for the smaller chips:

[​IMG]

Ideally I wanted to hang the kielbasa but decided to use a 3-tier rack arrangement. The three racks are approximately 3" apart:

[​IMG]

Once the WSM's temp got up to about 135,° on went the kielbasa....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I heavily smoked the kielbasas for just under 90 minutes, keeping the temp around 155-160° for the last 30 minutes or so.

Smoke rollin'.......

[​IMG]

Time to pull 'em off....

[​IMG]

After the smoke, my plan was to hot-water bath the load in this bad boy: a 1950 Westinghouse turkey roaster...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kept the kielbasas in their hot tub at around 160° for about 30 minutes until the IT reached 155°

[​IMG]

Dropped them into an ice bath to quick-cool 'em down & then hang dry to bloom:

[​IMG]

Money shot. Overall I thought the end results do justice to what my wife (& family's) expectations are for 'good' kielbasa—garlicky, smokey with a touch of saltiness, firm, and a good 'snap' when you bite into them. They certainly taste better than anything you find at the local grocery store.

Thanks to you guys here on this forum who helped me quite a bit & giving me the initiative to try this. Good fun!

Kevin

[​IMG]

9. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    AWESOME!!!!

I love the old Westinghouse!!

Thanks for the great step by step and the pics!  [​IMG]

Craig

10. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Awesome! Where did you get that bucket mixer, that's pretty neat. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  11. africanmeat

africanmeat Master of the Pit OTBS Member

It looks great . a professional   setup you got there ,well done

thanks for the Qview

12. couger78

couger78 Smoking Fanatic

I've sliced ('kielbasa coins") about 75% of the load & foodsaver'd the lot. Kept 2 of the larger ropes in the fridge for quick access.

My son was poaching/frying some in a pan when I took this shot. The 'cubes' of pork in the sausage are a bit more evident than in the earlier shot.

Kevin

Cookin' in the pan....

[​IMG]

13. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nine K-Coins

Kevin how much did it cost you to make the basa?

Reason i ask is cuz i was at a local butcher today and his smoked basa was $8.49 lb....Holy [email protected]

14. Keilbasa Looks Great. I'd like to know where you purchased mixer

15. werdwolf

werdwolf Master of the Pit OTBS Member

What a post.  Great recipe, equipment, and blow-by blow descriptions.

[​IMG]

16. bluebombersfan

bluebombersfan Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks great!!!  What a great idea with the cubes in it.  Gives it that coarse sausage look!!  Great job!!

17. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Great looking kielbasa.............. Nice toys too..............[​IMG]

18. realtorterry

realtorterry Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

That's awesome!!

19. couger78

couger78 Smoking Fanatic

Well, let's see....

TOTAL MEAT purchase: 2—Twin-packs of boned pork butts (about 28lbs) from Costco: $50 = $1.78/lb

(EQUIPMENT: Not figuring this in as these are and will continue to be used.

Kielbasa MEAT (10lbs)= $17.85

SPICES: had 'em already; grew the garlic; = 0

1/2 oz cure ($3.50/lb) =(10lbs) .11¢

Casings: Pork 32-35mm ($20.08/100lbs)=(10lbs) $2.00

Charcoal: 10 briquettes (1lb)= .03¢

Hickory chips/ handful = .06¢

Beverage(s) for the Chef: 2 Dos Equis = $2.66

TOTAL: $22.71 for 10 lbs or $2.27/pound

sans Beer: $2.00/pound.

Peace of mind knowing what's going INTO the sausage: PRICELESS

20. bluebombersfan