Smoked Christmas Sausage #1

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

deejaydebi

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
Connecticut
OKay Here's the first of my christmas sausages. It as basic as it gets but everyone loves it!

It's Smoke turkey lunchmeat.

Simply brine a turkey with your favorite brine. Because it's smoked at low temperatures add some cure per pound of meat according to the manufacturer instructions. I my case it was just over 30 pound of turkey meat.

Remove from cure and soak in plain water for about one hour or however long it takes you to debone it.

Put it back in the fridge to chill it.

Cut it up into pieces about 2x3x2 inches more or less.

Sprinkle a packet of Knox gelatin over the meat and mix well.

Get a large casing 2 to 4 inches in diameter. I like 4 inch casings for turkey but they are hard to get in long pieces. I got lucky and bought out a butcher who went out of business and got 200 feet!

Tie off one end and sprinkle the inside of the casing with paprika I did one hot and one mild. It's mostly for color on the mild but taste great on the hot! It gives the sausage edges a nice red color and I think it looks pretty especially for Christmas. I did one a few months ago and sprinkled the inside with my poultry rub. That was really good too, but to spicey for some of my older family members.

Stuff the casings using whatever you can find. I have a colletion of large McDonald cups that are perfect for 4 inch casings - just cut the bottom out and stick it in the casing and drop the meat in.

Once the sausage it stuffed long enough to still fit in your smoker cut it off a few inches beyond the end and squeeze the meat down.

Hold the open end tightly in your hand and roll the sausage on the counter to work the air out. Some large casings have tiny holes in them some do not - you you don't see moisture weeping out poke tiny holes in the side of the casing to let the air escape or you'll have air pockets in the sausage.

Tie off the opening and let it sit in the fridge overnight.

Smoke at about 180°F degrees for about 4 hours or until an internal temperature 160°F is reached. I'll smoke it tommorrow and grind the meat for my salami.

Here's the pictures:

1 - Casings sizes Rear 6 inch, bottom 4 inch, top left 30mm, top right 21mm
2 - 30 pounds of Turkey meat brined and cut up
3 - McDonald stuffing tube
4 - stuffed sausages
be2e6e88_vbattach15595.jpg

76aca983_vbattach15596.jpg

7f031850_vbattach15593.jpg

f973c0a9_vbattach15594.jpg

Hi Debi,girl is there anything you wont cook or smoke?Thats very interesting,I like the idea of dusting the casing,I never would have thought of that.Does this loaf slice like a lunch meat and hold together?I take it thats what the gelatin is for.Have you tried this with other types of meat:beef etc.?Im thinking deer loin and wondering if you could mix bullion with the gelatin and kinda make a gravy or a sauce,if you will,out of it.I really like things like that juicy.Ive got to try this,you've got me going now,the possibilities are endless.I want you to know we are still cherishing your visit,next time it will have to be longer.

yeah what rich said........i was going to ask.......why no grinding of the turkey?

hoping to get into sausage making after the first of the year

d88de

Debi, you are the bomb! And your Christmas turkey lunchmeat... a holiday treat!

ahhhh.........no cash..........christmas is taking what little i have.........cause i do'nt have ANY of the supplies or equipment

*sigh*

d88de

David -

You wouldn't know it's not a solid turkey breast. As long as you squeeze out all the air the tiny packet of Knox and the cooked juices holds it all together like one piece . Chances are (except for the paprika or rub) this is what you get at the supermarket when you buy a smoked turkey breast that's not shaped like an oval. When I do whole turkeys I use al the meat except legs and wings. I try to mx little pieces of dark meat all around so it looks pretty. I know I'm weird but pretty it important to me!

Here's the first one I made last March as an experiment it's all white meat so you can see it better although it's only a 2 inch casing. I also found out about rolling the meat since then! Picture 1

This also works good with pork shoulders, butts work but there's way to much trimming with butts - this how I make my capricolla or smoked ham lunch meat. My first one last February also a 2 inch casing. Picture 2

I haven't tried beef yet, I don't know if that would work. If you heat up the meat the brine makes it nice and juicy. I'll bet bullion would work but be careful after brining it might be REAL salty.

Not much I won't smoke or cook and I am kind of "fugal" I hate paying the high cost of lunchmeat. I am thinking of doing my next ham type lunchmeat(that I get to keep) with a high temperature cheese in the middle. I love cheese!

The brine makes it juicy but I am thinking of lightly flouring the dry meat to get it to make like a gravy within the casing when you heat it. Just waiting for some smaller casings to come in for my experiments.

The posibilities are endless! I posted these pix last winter and nobody noticed! LOL

I've got to PM you I think I found some land in your town that might work for me. Maybe you know where they are and if I should even consider it. Gee was I impressed with you guys or what?
icon_mrgreen.gif

7df30fae_vbattach15598.jpg

1f8f3805_vbattach15599.jpg

Dude -

If you have a cup and some meat I'll send you some big casings to try. I made sausages for years without anything but Mama's old bolt on hand grinder and no casings. Just made patties or fattys as we now call them.

Heck these are my Christmas presents! I'll slice it up pretty and vacuum seal it, make labels on my printer and wrap it all up in some sort of basket with tissue paper or something. I make something different for everyone every year - that's what makes it fun for me like when I was a kid. It makes it interesting for everyone they never know what I'm gonna do next!

Rch -

No grinding on this or the ham it's supposed to look whole like turkey breast or boiled ham. Easy as it gets! Anyone can make this trust me! No equipment required! You saw the pictures just a cup to hold the casing and a knife to cut the meat up. I got inspired watching my lunchmeat fall apart after paying $7.99 a pound for smoked turkey - I figure out it wasn't a whole piece turkey and well the rest is history as they say!

I feel your pain, You could always make your own breakfast sausage patties, roll your own Fatties or make Italian Sausage patties???? Just have the butcher grind the meat for ya, or buy pre-ground pork/beef and use the 2 knife method. That's how I make my own. I really never got the hang of using a stuffer though...................too much of a klutz I guess.

That'll work! I used one for years! To get started like Wilson said you could just buy beef and pork burger from the store. Nows a good tie to get pork burger cheap they sell alot during the holidays for pork pies and stuff. You couls always grind up some bacon to make it fattier.

Geeze and you had us feeling sorry for you! Your a rich man and don't even know it!
PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif

Verrrry interestink! I'ma gonna give 'er a run! The wife would actually EAT this! Thanks Deb...yer a swell gal! Points for a "wife friendly" recipe!

Hmmm thought I replied to this..Ah well

Anyway, the wife had her gall bladder out a few years back and does not tolerate fat well. Weird, cause she'll scarf ribs, but has not touched beef and some pork since. Sooo she eats a ton of poultry, which, of course, I am tired to DEATH of, so I'm always happy to find a why to "disguise" it!

to truely make it "wife friendly" I'll need to either not smoke, or smoke VERY lightly and finish by the oven. Prolly add some honey too... she loves that honey roasted turkey breast crap...Ugh! ;{)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky