Sloppy Joe's

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Heck yes! Looks tasty! I've tried to make it from scratch a couple times. I just couldn't get the profile good enough.

Reactions: gmc2003
you must have more dainty hands than I do...lol
LOL ya never know
Tis good comfort meal.
For those that don't like the sweet, replace the sugar and ketchup with another can of tomato paste.
edit and a 1/4 cup vinegar
Good to know if I want a change of pace
I grew up on the stuff. It is better with finer bits of meat, but it needs a stiff gravy (tomato sauce) to hold it all together on the bun. Reduce it well.
Totally agree John. I prefer the broken down this way.

Chris

Heck yes! Looks tasty! I've tried to make it from scratch a couple times. I just couldn't get the profile good enough.
Thanks Steve I'm really happy with the way this one turned out, but that won't stop me from making a slight alteration to the recipe here and there. It's a good baseline.

Chris

Looks great Chris, love sloppy joes, not a first date kind of meal at all, lol

I like to smoke the burger first like Cliff clifish clifish said, For the soup I wanted chunks , but for Joe's I would just crumble after smoke. I have to add the chunks to the soup later or it crumbles up more but itself in the soup.

David

Reactions: gmc2003 and clifish
That looks great, Chris. I'd definitely tear into one of those...
We haven't had sloppy Joe's in a while, and when we do it comes from the can.
Growing up, sloppy Joe's were a regular and always out of the can, usually Manwich. I haven't eaten one in a long, long time...too long...

No worries! I love sloppy joes! I have been making them the same way as long as I can remember. Beef, green pepper, onion, ketchup (catsup?) mustard, brown sugar and every so often a splash of vinegar. If I want heat I add it afterwards usually in the form of home made pickled jalapenos or otherwise. I can tell ya we'll be having some this week now that has been mentioned!

That looks great! I loved the taste of Sloppy Joe's when I was a kid, and yourn's looks awesome, but I could never come to terms with the fact that there is no possible way to keep it all in the bun during the process of eating it.

🫡

Good looking Joe....All I'd add is a slice of cheddar cheese! Canned Manwich is a regular in our rotation at the house for a quick meal.

Jim

That looks perfect! Looks like what my wife makes... got her recipe from her mom when she owned her bakery... was probably from her grandma. Always have a spoon handy for clean up afterwards lol. Eat mine with a slice of American cheese on it... wife likes Lay's potato chips on hers. Freezes well also for quick meals later on.

Ryan

Very nice Chris! The only thing missing for me is a bottom and top slice of American cheese, but that a side I would gladly gobble that up quick!

PS edit....the cheese is for flavor but it also keeps the bun "dry", ie say you made up 50 or so of these for a party....The last person in line still has a firm bun to pick up......The things you learn from the food service side of things.......

Last edited:
We just love Sloppy Joes at our house and yours looks great Chris. Thanks for the recipe. I've done the 'Over The Top' sloppy Joe recipe that floats around the net and it is really good but I like the idea of chili powder and cayenne in yours. Points for sure! 😁

Yum. We use an old family recipe. Ours has condensed tomato soup in it. Let it simmer to thicken up. Do add red pepper flakes for a little kick but not chili powder. Personally not a fan of the tomato paste flavor in most things. Most of the other ingredients are the same minus the beef broth and mustard.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky