Sloppy Joe's

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks great Chris, love sloppy joes, not a first date kind of meal at all, lol

I like to smoke the burger first like Cliff clifish clifish said, For the soup I wanted chunks , but for Joe's I would just crumble after smoke. I have to add the chunks to the soup later or it crumbles up more but itself in the soup.

David
Thanks David, for the soup I'd also want crumbles, but for Joe's I prefer the smaller granules.
Oh yeah, I am way beyond the first date stage in my life. I've been married to the same woman since 1985.

That looks great, Chris. I'd definitely tear into one of those...

Growing up, sloppy Joe's were a regular and always out of the can, usually Manwich. I haven't eaten one in a long, long time...too long...
Appreciate Charles it was about the same in our house. We usually had it when I got home from playing hockey or soccer.

Chris

Reactions: DRKsmoking
No worries! I love sloppy joes! I have been making them the same way as long as I can remember. Beef, green pepper, onion, ketchup (catsup?) mustard, brown sugar and every so often a splash of vinegar. If I want heat I add it afterwards usually in the form of home made pickled jalapenos or otherwise. I can tell ya we'll be having some this week now that has been mentioned!
Thanks Mr. Whipple. One thing I noticed when searching for a recipe is - they all basically start out with the same basic ingredients. It's the little tweak here or there that makes them special.
That looks great! I loved the taste of Sloppy Joe's when I was a kid, and yourn's looks awesome, but I could never come to terms with the fact that there is no possible way to keep it all in the bun during the process of eating it.

🫡
Appreciate it RS. Believe it or not it's not that bad as long as you don't overload the bun with Joe mix. Another option would be to eat it as an open-faced sloppy Joe. I've done this in the past when I really wanted two sandwiches, but didn't want two buns. Going open-faced also allows you to pile on the Joe mix.

Chris

Good looking Joe....All I'd add is a slice of cheddar cheese! Canned Manwich is a regular in our rotation at the house for a quick meal.

Jim
Thanks Jim, I love cheddar but prefer freshly grated Parmesan on top.
That looks perfect! Looks like what my wife makes... got her recipe from her mom when she owned her bakery... was probably from her grandma. Always have a spoon handy for clean up afterwards lol. Eat mine with a slice of American cheese on it... wife likes Lay's potato chips on hers. Freezes well also for quick meals later on.

Ryan
Appreciate it Ryan, I thought about Frito's on top but that would have meant me going to the store, and that wasn't going to happen Ha!. I'm a huge fan of American cheese, but I like it with peanut butter(especially super crunchy). I make my peanut butter sammies using American cheese instead of bread. I may be the only person in the world who does it but I really like it that way.

Chris

Very nice Chris! The only thing missing for me is a bottom and top slice of American cheese, but that a side I would gladly gobble that up quick!

PS edit....the cheese is for flavor but it also keeps the bun "dry", ie say you made up 50 or so of these for a party....The last person in line still has a firm bun to pick up......The things you learn from the food service side of things.......
Thanks Civil(see post #43). I woof these down so there is no chance of the buns getting soggy. I don't have 50 friends so I don't have to worry about serving 50. LOL
We just love Sloppy Joes at our house and yours looks great Chris. Thanks for the recipe. I've done the 'Over The Top' sloppy Joe recipe that floats around the net and it is really good but I like the idea of chili powder and cayenne in yours. Points for sure! 😁
Appreciate it Colin, This recipe has been in my family for at least the last 36 hrs. LOL. The chili and cayenne really did add to the Joe mix without changing the basic flavor.

Chris

Yum. We use an old family recipe. Ours has condensed tomato soup in it. Let it simmer to thicken up. Do add red pepper flakes for a little kick but not chili powder. Personally not a fan of the tomato paste flavor in most things. Most of the other ingredients are the same minus the beef broth and mustard.
Thanks ifit, The condensed tomato soup sounds interesting. I'll have to think about that one. I let mine simmer for a while then went with a cornstarch slurry to thicken. I got tired of waiting.
That was a honest mistake no copycats that way Adam.
Awesome looking, I would like at least 2 for a taste testing.

Warren
Appreciate it Warren. Most of this recipe was a combination of a few recipes I found while doing a google search. I tweaked some of the amounts and the way I cooked it. Now I believe i have a good baseline to work from for future Joe's.

Chris

I haven't had sloppies since my Mom used to make them. I'm gonna try your recipe. Those look awesome. Great job!
Appreciate it Dave. I think you'll like it.

Chris

I'm a huge fan of American cheese, but I like it with peanut butter(especially super crunchy). I make my peanut butter sammies using American cheese instead of bread. I may be the only person in the world who does it but I really like it that way.

Chris
and you don't like avocados but eat the above????
1701742019599.png
1701742019599.png 1701742019599.png 1701742019599.png :emoji_thinking:

from another sloppy Joe view. We food process 5 oz of celery and 5 oz onion to a pound of meat plus BBQ , ketchup, and all kind of spices. A Mexican red sauce works well too.

Reactions: gmc2003
Thanks Rich, most of the recipes I found didn't include either cayenne or chili powder, and I figured they'd taste more like Manwich. I was looking for something with a little more bite so I decided to include them. Glad I did.

Chris

Chris
I like that idea. The caned stuff is too sweet for my taste.

Boy Chris, that brings back some fond memories! I used to love that stuff when I was a kid, comfort food in a can. RAY

I don't want to know, and you call yourself a Brooklynite!
1701872871727.png

Ex-Brooklynite
Do you put corn on your pizza?
LOL I was born in Brooklyn not Long Island :emoji_laughing:. So what I do is. I scrape off all the toppings and set them aside. Then I cover the slice with Parmesan cheese. I'll eat the Parmesan covered slice and then eat the toppings after. I've been eating pizza this way for as long as I can remember.

Chris

from another sloppy Joe view. We food process 5 oz of celery and 5 oz onion to a pound of meat plus BBQ , ketchup, and all kind of spices. A Mexican red sauce works well too.
Thanks Randy. We had celery in our fridge, and I actually thought about giving it and a carrot or two a ride in the food processor and adding it to the mix. Then I realized I didn't want to clean anymore dishes so I bagged the idea.
I like that idea. The caned stuff is too sweet for my taste.
Appreciate it Chris. You still get a hint of the manwich taste, but with a little heat.

Chris

Boy Chris, that brings back some fond memories! I used to love that stuff when I was a kid, comfort food in a can. RAY

Thanks Ray, Manwich and Dinty Moore were always in the pantry for those nights where time was in short supply

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky