Slightly different pork belly cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

philpom

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 16, 2023
Texas
So many ways to do pork belly but I always come back to an indirect hot cook. Used pecan wood, 375°f on the Weber OTS. Seasoned well and spritzed with apple cider vinegar throughout. Once it reached an IT of about 185°f I glazed with some sweet Thai red chili sauce. Delicious...

20230701_155638.jpg

20230701_164601.jpg

20230701_164039.jpg

20230701_192912.jpg

Pork belly is so good!

Last edited:
Reactions: philpom
Normally I think of apple cider vinegar as a part of a marinade and just use apple cider during the smoke. I am curious what the vinegar does? Strictly flavor or tenderizer? Thanks.

Normally I think of apple cider vinegar as a part of a marinade and just use apple cider during the smoke. I am curious what the vinegar does? Strictly flavor or tenderizer? Thanks.
I use the vinegar in 2 ways. To build bark and add flavor. Sour is one of the fundamental flavors like sweet and salty. Acetic acid evaporates at a higher temperature than water and helps hydrate the mostly freeze dried ingredients of common dry rubs. This can help build bark or in the case of this pork belly prevent it. Plain water (or apple cider) could do similar but without the flavor from the acid.

Reactions: chp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky