Slicing Bacon Against the Grain

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ConrodM

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 1, 2020
Florida
I am on my 3rd round of making bacon. I’m addicted as is my wife to this home cured, smoked, and sliced bacon
Since the grain seems to vary in direction some I want to make sure I am slicing it correctly (against the grain). Please confirm. Thanks 😊 👍😁

IMG_9212.jpeg

Reactions: JLeonard
I am really anal about slicing bacon cross grain. As you said the grain will run in different directions. So, I try to cut the belly up into a few pieces so all my slices are cross grain.
Al

Reactions: ConrodM
I am really anal about slicing bacon cross grain. As you said the grain will run in different directions. So, I try to cut the belly up into a few pieces so all my slices are cross grain.
Al
I cut mine in 1/2 to cure in separate vac bags then smoke 1 or both. I’m experimenting with cure times now and just pulled one after 3-hr hot smoke. After it’s refrigerated overnight I will cut in half again (so now it’s 1/4 of whole belly) and that’s when it’s hard to tell the grain direction 🤣. Marking with a toothpick for end to silce so it will be against the original grain

Attachments

• 71735274924__5955D10A-63BF-4FA4-98E5-5909D8AC10A8.jpeg
    71735274924__5955D10A-63BF-4FA4-98E5-5909D8AC10A8.jpeg
    163.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9253.jpeg
    IMG_9253.jpeg
    175.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9249.jpeg
    IMG_9249.jpeg
    204.5 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: 02ebz06
I used to cure bellies by cutting in half before curing to fit my 200$ slicer. If I didn't put a toothpick in the cut sides I couldn't tell end from end. I finally sliced a half belly with the grain and couldn't tell the difference after cooking.. The grain is what I call "omnidirectional" in that it goes all over the place. I now slice whole bellies now with my Hobart 12" slicer. But it wouldn't bother me in the least to slice "with the grains" again if I had to

Reactions: Saul D and ConrodM
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky