Size matters

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ameskimo1

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 7, 2013
Michigan's little Bavaria
Morning fellow smokers! Back after a lil hiatus and ready to fire up the MB dual fuel. But it got me thinking about a pellet grill. I really don't need anything large as its just the 3 of us, been looking at the Camp Chef 24 series and the Pit Boss 340 series vs the Pit Boss 700 series; Sams & WallyMart have a pretty good deal on the Pit Boss 700s but the Budget Master would likely authorize the purchase of the smaller ones first.
Question is, in the real world just how small are the small ones? Tall enough to hold a 15-16lb turkey? Typical smokes are ribs, port butts, fatties, cheese, the occasional turkey, and of course all of the random stuff my mind conjures up to try with smoke flavor.

I upgraded from a pit boss 340 to a pit boss 1000SC after trying the smaller one for a few months. 340 was great for wings and pork loins. I wanted to be able to do full briskets and multiple meats at once. I just went from the smallest to the largest one they had, didn't see a point in wasting more money on a medium size one.

Buy your second pellet smoker first. Seriously, I know you only have three in your household, but once word gets out to family and friends that you make great bbq on your new smoker, you'll be needing more room than you thought. Ultimately, it's cheaper to buy the larger grill first than to try a small one then upgrade.

Reactions: Danno44
Buy your second pellet smoker first. Seriously, I know you only have three in your household, but once word gets out to family and friends that you make great bbq on your new smoker, you'll be needing more room than you thought. Ultimately, it's cheaper to buy the larger grill first than to try a small one then upgrade.
Its kind of like a boat, buy bigger first and get it over with. I've been using the MB dual fuel except running it mostly with wood, its done everything I've asked it to do but that often means loaded to max capacity as well! I'm leaning towards the Pit Boss 700 at Sams, it seems about the best solution for the size and $

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky