Shooters Breakfast Sausage (by request)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shooterrick

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 13, 2008
South Louisiana
Shooters Basic Pork Breakfast Sausage

This is a great sage sausage recipe with a bit of heat.

5 lbs Pork Butt  (boned)
4 tbs Kosher salt
1  tbs ground black pepper
3 tbs sage
1 tbs nutmeg
2 tbs thyme
1 tbs ground red pepper
1 tsp ginger
1/2 pint ice water

1. Make sure all pork is chilled well to 35 F prior to starting.  Grind all pork through 3/16 plate.  Add all other ingredients and mix well.

2. Allow the sausage to meld in a covered container in the refrigerator for 3 hours and then use or freeze immediately.

3. Pork sausage should not be allowed to stay at room temperature any longer than necessary.

Servings: 24
Yield: 6 lbs

Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 1/24 of a recipe (3.8 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients. One of the recipe's ingredients was not linked. This ingredient is not included in the recipe nutrition data.

Amount Per Serving
Calories 178.82
Calories From Fat (60%) 106.68
% Daily Value
Total Fat 11.83g 18%
Saturated Fat 4.2g 21%
Cholesterol 58.59mg 20%
Sodium 998.24mg 42%
Potassium 307.57mg 9%
Total Carbohydrates 0.49g <1%
Fiber 0.24g <1%
Sugar 0.1g
Protein 16.53g 33%

Tips
Be sure to remove any blood clots or gland tissue from the pork butt before grinding.

Thanks Rick!!  I've read on here people talking about how good your breakfast sausage was, but for life of me I could not find the recipe.  

Looks great Rick - pretty easy to "capture" too. Looks like you  are still having fun with Living Cookbook program too 

Looks great Rick - pretty easy to "capture" too. Looks like you  are still having fun with Living Cookbook program too 
Yes I love that program.  I have most all of my recipes now converted to the Living Cookbook.  Being diabetic and such at least I can play around with ingredients and see the results and to be honest at least if I am killing myself I am doing so with full knowledge of what I am doing!  LOL

This sounds awesome, Thanks...JJ

Yes I love that program.  I have most all of my recipes now converted to the Living Cookbook.  Being diabetic and such at least I can play around with ingredients and see the results and to be honest at least if I am killing myself I am doing so with full knowledge of what I am doing!  LOL
I am trying to figure out an easy way to share recipes with the program. Wondering if we could set something up on a "cloud " or server somewhere to exchange with other users - I know NW Dave also uses it

I made this with 12 lbs. of feral hog meat today (9+ lbs. lean with 2+ lbs. pork fat), and just got done with the test patties.  Resting overnight right now.  The taste is incredible.  Thank you so much for sharing this recipe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky