Seperating a point & flat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

burgs95

Original poster
May 6, 2008
Does anyone know a good link for pictures on seperating a brisket point and flat? I saw one awhile back, but did not save the website. It had great instructions and pics. Thanks

Chris

Perfect. I've got a 11 lb Exel packer from super Walmart yesterday. I'm trying me first brisket Memorial day weekend. I can only start smoking around 7:00 am, due to work. I'm hoping I can can cook the just the flat by 6:00 pm. I want to freeze the point and try burnt ends later. the flat has a nice fat cap, so it should have enough fat to keep moist.

If you want to separate a point from a flat after it has been cooked.

There will be a fairly easy to follow fat layer separating the two
Take a spatula(wood or plastic) and work it into the fat layer using a slight prodding motion.
You'll want to be easy not to jab the spatula into the meat as best as you can.
I don't have any pictures of it but it's pretty simple to figure out once you get your hands on it.

I don't recomend seperating the two before cooking.
The section of flat underneath the point is primo!

edit:
BTW- you'll want to make the burnt ends from a cooked point.
I would recomend cooking the point and the freezing for burn't ends.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky