Second ever smoke - pulled pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Name4SmokingForum

Original poster
Jul 2, 2023
Yesterday I posted in the welcome forum saying I was working on my first ever smoke. That did not go well and I did not end up with something edible.

But that was yesterday. Always get back on the horse so today I gave it another go. My second smoke ever went much better. Just mustard and Chipotle Killer Bee rub, into the Smokin-it at 250, wrapped in foil at 160F with some apple juice and 8 hours later I am very happy with it.
0-35.jpeg

Looks like it went well. Glad you didn't give up.

Looks good from here. I expect all of us have a cook go south now and then, so glad you got right back at it.

Looks great. Smoking is a continuous learning process and this is the place to learn, glad you didn't quit...

Looks good. Give butcher paper a try next time, it should help keep the bark crispy. Foil will trap the moisture and soften the bark.

Pink Butcher Paper Roll - 18 Inch x 175 Feet (2100 Inch) - Food Grade Peach Wrapping Paper for Smoking Meat of all Varieties - Made in USA https://amzn.to/3pHyAop

Reactions: Buckeyedude
Overcooked? Undercooked? I’ve screwed up some smokes, but never “not edible” :emoji_thinking:
Overcooked- nothing I would feed to friends/family! It was my mistake completely. I underestimated the time of the cook and ended up having to leave for a little bit near the end (at 191F). I dropped the smoker temp to 200F try to stall and hold the cook, but the meat temp dropped about 15 degrees and then completely dried out when re-heating back up. Dogs like it, though!

Looks tasty. Try putting the butt in a foil pan with your juice next time. Cover tightly with foil. You will have some awesome smokey au jus to defat and mic back in the pork.

Looks tasty. Try putting the butt in a foil pan with your juice next time. Cover tightly with foil. You will have some awesome smokey au jus to defat and mic back in the pork.
I put a drip pan beneath it the rack, but putting it in would probably have been easier!

Reactions: jcam222
Way to stick with it! Nice looking PP! Wait a second, that didnt sound right! You know what I mean! :emoji_laughing:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky