Seasoning / Cure Ratio question for smaller batch

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
Hello
I purchased some packs of Cabelas brand jerky seasoning and cure kits. They contain packs of seasoning and cure for 5lbs batches. The instructions do not get ratios/quantity for batches smaller than 5lbs.

The seasoning packs and cure packs both say 2ozs on the packaging.

I would like to make some 2 and 3lb batches, instead of a full 5lbs.

Can I cut the seasoning and cure down, so that it works for a batch smaller than 5lbs? If so, how do I go about that?

Thanks

The best way would be to use a scale to weigh out the ingredients. 2oz is 57 grams for 5 lbs. So for 1 lb you'd want to use 11.4 grams of each.
If you don't have a gram scale, you can get them for around $10 on amazon.

Or you could divide the packets in five equal amounts by volume, then use 2 measures for 2lb, 3 for 3lb. etc.

here's the scale

The best way would be to use a scale to weigh out the ingredients. 2oz is 57 grams for 5 lbs. So for 1 lb you'd want to use 11.4 grams of each.
If you don't have a gram scale, you can get them for around $10 on amazon.

Or you could divide the packets in five equal amounts by volume, then use 2 measures for 2lb, 3 for 3lb. etc.

here's the scale

"Or you could divide the packets in five equal amounts by volume, then use 2 measures for 2lb, 3 for 3lb. etc. "

This is exactly what I was going to recommend, I would divide.
Dan

Yup, they come in handy for many things, I use mine every week when I'm making my pizza dough.
If you're going to buy one look for one that weighs in partial grams not just whole grams like a lot of the super cheap scales do. They make some pretty trick scales these days it just depends on what you want to do with them.

Thanks for all of the replies. I’ll order a gram scale, but it will not be here in time.

When you say divide by volume, is there an actual measurement or conversion?

I’m seeing that 2ozs of cure provides for 5lbs of meat is looking like 2.4tsps.

How does that sound?

Also - I do have a jar of Prague Powder #1. Am I better off not using the cure that came with the kid and just using my own Prague Powder #1?

If so, how many teaspoons for each 1lb of meat? Is it 1/4 tsp for each 1lb of ground jerky?

This will be ground beef.

Last edited:
I'd use what they gave ya, By the weight of the package of cure, it tells me there is more than your standard cure in it.
If you use the cure#1 it would be 1 level teaspoon for 5 lbs., so 1/5 a teaspoon for 1 lb.

Update - I realized that I do actually have a digital scale. Measured it all out and good to go.

I’ll be trying maple jalapeño, prime rib, and cracker pepper and garlic.

5lbs of ground beef snack sticks

Here is a quickie.
Harbor freight has small gram scales for like $12

Like Dan said, just use 1 level tsp and your good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky