salt pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Fueling Around

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 10, 2018
NW Minnesota
OK not a smoking topic, but there is a lot of brains to pick on the forum.

Got a Scout camporee coming up in May that is Civil War themed.
As many Scout events, theme cooking is encouraged.
Google search came back with hard tack and salt pork.

Any suggestions on salting a pork belly?

Modern Salt pork is 3~4% salt usually... Civil war era salt pork was likely 10% salt for preservation. Used strictly as a seasoning meat. I recommend a big pot of salt pork and beans on an open fire....crumble the hard tack into the bowl when eating.....just like crackers....

Reactions: JC in GB
Thanks

Didn't know what defined "modern" salt pork. Not common in my area.

Slathered in salt as I learned from searching the reenactment websites is CW era.
I have a belly and decided to donate to troop.

Youth cooking skills and tastes is hard to alter from the school lunch crap menu of today.
Luckily saltier than .... is their taste.
Adding the hardtack is a great idea. Should mimic the breading flavor of processed foods

Boys bailed on attempting period cooking and decided on quick and easy comfort food.

They also told the adult leaders to cook for themselves.

Adults are excited to not eat hot dogs and taco in a bag. When I offered a salt pork belly, they drooled.

Belly is in wet brine at 5%. Didn't want to go full CW salt to death of 10%+, but get it representative of something that cannot be eaten plain.

I would love to join them, but we have a very late spring and working in agriculture means that planting comes first.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky