Salt and Pepper for Brisket - By weight or volume?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hello.  Thanks Bad Santa.  I didn't know the ratio but as soon as I read your post I remember I read long ago about that being called a Dalmation rub.  Never heard of the Dirty Dalmation.  Good info.  I also can understand why the OP asked the question.  He now has a starting point.  I do it by eye as the others do.  I think the OP will still have a problem in that some briskets have more fat on the outside than others.  As the fat renders the salt and pepper will drip away.  I can see that being a good base to build other rubs from.  Always learning something here on SMF.  Keep Smokin!

Danny
Hey Danny, 

I agree 100% about myself never ceasing to learn new ways and ideas on this forum. This is a good starting base for a simple rub, very simple allows the meat flavored with smoke to shine, makes a nice crusty bark, and used in an awful lot of the better known BBQ joints across Texas, and can be, as you stated, easily tweaked to a person's preference. 

lol, I was starting to think 'this guy sounds a bit anal' then you fessed up on the engineer part! I'm a SPOG guy myself and eyeball it - and I put it on just about anything that walked on 4 legs before it got in my smoker. Don't get me wrong - have made up some great rubs & marinades, but SPOG and hardwoods - classic and hard to beat, specially on a brisket.

lol, I was starting to think 'this guy sounds a bit anal' then you fessed up on the engineer part! I'm a SPOG guy myself and eyeball it - and I put it on just about anything that walked on 4 legs before it got in my smoker. Don't get me wrong - have made up some great rubs & marinades, but SPOG and hardwoods - classic and hard to beat, specially on a brisket.
Yeah, my mother in law will be coming and she's a lot more sensitive to garlic. Besides, I've got a Prime brisket that I've had wet-aging in the fridge for ~40 days... I want to use just S&P and let the meat be the star ;-)

I'm probably late on this and your brisket is in the pit.  I just put mine on for Sunday dinner...  

This is an interesting question and I did some research  on another site that I'm a member of. ... It's full of high brow chefs that like to argue about things I've never heard of or seen. I'm allowed in as the token red neck.  

SO, The Culinary Arts crowd says that the base Ratio is 3 to 1  Salt to pepper. With loads of caution that it should be done "to taste". Which was already well stated above.

B

Last edited:
  An interesting conversation, with some great points. Just thought I would add a word about engineers. They generally just look at  things a bit differently than most of us. They don't see the glass as half-full or half-empty, they see the glass as being twice as large as necessary.

Chuck

I happened to ask Aaron Franklin when I was there at his joint this weekend what he means in his book when he says 1:1. His answer was by volume. I haven't done any experiment yet to see how much different the masses are if measured by volume. He also says he uses 16mesh black pepper. The equivalent I've seen at the restaurant supply house is butcher course black pepper.

Reactions: jcbigler

I happened to ask Aaron Franklin when I was there at his joint this weekend what he means in his book when he says 1:1. His answer was by volume. I haven't done any experiment yet to see how much different the masses are if measured by volume. He also says he uses 16mesh black pepper. The equivalent I've seen at the restaurant supply house is butcher course black pepper.
Well, that's good enough for me!   
points.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky