roll call on brands of pellet grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Just ordered my Rec Tec today. Can't wait to try it out!
Congrats on the new Rec Tec...hope you enjoy it!  Lookin forward to seein some of your qviews... 
icon14.gif

Red

Hi, I have a Chargriller model 9020 and have had it for slightly over a year now and love it. Decided to have some family over for a BBQ this last Sunday and as soon as guests started showing up the grill stopped running and the controller was blank. Not having had this happen before I didn't realize there was a fuse on the controller so I waited until Monday morning to contact customer support. Yep sure enough a fuse so easy fix well that was simple but now my hot rod doesn't work so maybe the igniter caused the fuse on the controller to blow not sure. So for the low low price of $37 I ordered a replacement hot rod which should be here early next week. Doesn't look that difficult to install a new one so wish me luck.

Hi, I have a Chargriller model 9020 and have had it for slightly over a year now and love it. Decided to have some family over for a BBQ this last Sunday and as soon as guests started showing up the grill stopped running and the controller was blank. Not having had this happen before I didn't realize there was a fuse on the controller so I waited until Monday morning to contact customer support. Yep sure enough a fuse so easy fix well that was simple but now my hot rod doesn't work so maybe the igniter caused the fuse on the controller to blow not sure. So for the low low price of $37 I ordered a replacement hot rod which should be here early next week. Doesn't look that difficult to install a new one so wish me luck.
Hey Nate...sorry to hear you had a breakdown while you were cooking for guests...that sucks.  The hot rod is the part that most often needs replaced on most pellet rigs.  I've had to replace the one in my Rec Tec only once in 2 1/2 years...but I know of others who've had to do it more often.  It's a high-use part with a limited life expectancy.  Pretty easy to swap out though...it took me about 15 minutes to be back in business...now I keep a new one on hand as a spare...just in case it goes out at a bad time like yours did.  

But just in case this happens again and you don't have a spare hot rod to replace it, you can use a torch to light your firepot manually...a little more of a hassle but it works.  After the pellets are burning, the hot rod shuts off and doesn't do anything else anyway.

Red

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip Red I actually used an alcohol gel to light it yesterday but a torch sounds like a better idea.

Afternoon fellow pellet smoker owners :yahoo: I have the GMG Jim Bowie pellet smoker haven't had any issues as of yet! Like I said I have the Jim Bowie GMG runs with the wifi 5.9 updates. I have also did some mods to my Jim Bowie smoker. First thing I did was replace that cheesy stock thermometer with a Tel True thermometer, then I added a Don Godke's downdraft, I also added a bottom storage shelf, along with new main grilling grates and a second grill grate that slides out! Yes you read it correctly slides out and slides all the way out without tipping over. Take a L[emoji]128064[/emoji]K at the pictures below and let me know what you think. As always Happy Smokin'

Smokin Monkey, thanks for the comment the top shelf brackets are welded in not bolted down.

Taking a more in depth look at your photos, I now see that the Down Draft kit is level with the opening return at the front.
Looking at getting a friend to make me. Down Draft kit as it would be expensive to ship to the UK, so I could get home to weld the runner to that?

Smokin Monkey, my welds are at the front and at the back only not to the downdraft, I used 1"X1"X 1/8" angle iron and on both sides I pushed it off the edge about a 1/2" so it gave me plenty to weld to the front of the smoker the top shelf is 34"x16" added about another 550 sq cooking inches.

Wolfman- thanks for the comment main reason I did the mods as far as changing the grill grates was love the way it cooks the food and holds the heat better then the other stock grates. Pretty much the same set up I have on my Horizon 20" offset stick burner. Bottom shelf was more for stability then holding stuff too. Yea, the second shelf slide out is a must on any smoker much easy to cook food on it and the ability to slide it out is a plus! Thanks again for your comment! As always Happy Smokin'

-Joe

Last edited:
Just found this group. We have a 10+ year old trager XL with the insulation blanket pellet pro controller from smoke daddy and grill grates. Also just bought a GMG Jim Bowie with the insulation blanket. I have a decent handle on how the XL works but the JB is a whole new learning experience. Also just got an Igrill 2 I don't much care for so will be returning it and getting a tapaque. And today I just ordered the oval 12 - 18" amazing smoke tube, looking forward to learning how to use it. Any mods for either grill are greatly appreciated.
Thx

Welcome to the group here is a picture of GMG JB pellet smoker pretty much has every mod that can be done to the smoker or any pellet smoker! I also replaced my entire pellet hopper assembly with the 18" pellet pro hooper assembly!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky