Rings and Wieners

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
Going with a mix of 5# pork and 1.5# chicken thighs skin on, (3Kg) because that’s what’s on hand. So I’ll make some wieners with sheep casing then the rest into 40mm beef middles for rings. I’ll update today as we progress through. Will fridge overnight and smoke tomorrow.

IMG_1945.jpeg

Separate the fat and meat as much as is reasonable, chicken skins are in with the fat. We will keep the meat and fat separate all the way through then combine them after the emulsion.

IMG_1946.jpeg

200 grams of pork skin, yup it’s getting parboiled then it’s going in with the fat.

IMG_1947.jpeg

Time to mix up the flavors. We have 2Kg of meat and 1Kg of fat/fatty, so we will only figure cure#1 for the 2Kg of meat, but all other spices will be for 3Kg (total weight)

This recipe I’ve posted before and is my bologna/wiener go to. This is per 1Kg.

Recipe per 1Kg

Salt) 18g
Cure #1) 2.5g
Mace) .5g
Sugar) 2.0g
Gran garlic) 1.5g
Onion powder) 1.5g
White pepper 1.5g
Sodium erythorbate) 1g
Phosphate) 4g
Water) 120ml

Wind blowing 35-40mph today and tomorrow is forecast for more snow, so the smokehouse is out for the dogs and rings. Have to just get it done on the Yoder pellet machine (it’s walled in and under roof) so they didn’t get my usual color, but they got smoked just the same. Here are the rings, will eat that tonight with pinto beans and Mac-n-cheese, beans and wiennies.

I’ll snap a shot of the dogs later they are still blooming.

IMG_1960.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky